In the past 29 years the IAC has grown from a prestigious academy to one of the world's preeminent forums for top Cardiologists and Scientists. These Faculty are the best of the best. We are proud to honor them with these well-deserved awards. (Asher Kimchi, M.D.)
BOSTON (PRWEB) August 01, 2018
Dr. Asher Kimchi, Founder and Chairman of the International Academy of Cardiology (IAC) today announced the winning recipients of the 2018 IAC Awards at the 23rd World Congress on Heart Disease held in Boston, MA, USA. In addition to the IAC awards, the committee also named four faculty to receive the Distinguished Fellowship Awards.
Dr. Asher Kimchi, together with Chairman Dr. John A. Elefteriades, headed a committee comprised of 222 of the world's leading cardiologists and scientists that reviewed a prestigious list of nominees and voted for their top choice.
The following awards for 2018 were presented at the Opening Ceremony of the International Academy of Cardiology Annual Scientific Sessions 2018, 23rd World Congress on Heart Disease, to honor the memory of distinguished colleagues, all former members of the faculty of previous International Academy of Cardiology meetings who made major contributions to Medicine and Cardiology:
- The Walter Bleifeld Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Clinical Research to Robert A. Levine, M.D., Professor of Medicine, Director, Cardiac Ultrasound Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
- The Albrecht Fleckenstein Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Basic Research to Suresh C. Tyagi, Ph.D., Professor and Vice Chair for Research, Department of Physiology, Stoghill Endowed Chair in Biomedical Sciences, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY, USA
- The Jan J. Kellermann Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Cardiovascular Disease Prevention to Saul Schaefer, M.D., Professor of Medicine, Director, Medical Student Research and the MD-PhD program, University of California Davis, Davis, CA, USA
- The Hans-Peter Krayenbuehl Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Research in Cardiac Function to Changyi Johnny Chen, M.D., Ph.D., Molecular Surgery Endowed Chair, Professor of Surgery and Molecular & Cellular Biology, Chief of Division of Surgical Research, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
- The Melvin L. Marcus Memorial Award for distinguished contribution as a Gifted Teacher to Zorina Galis, Ph.D., Chief, Vascular Biology and Hypertension Branch, National Heart Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
The 2018 Distinguished Fellowship Awards, honoring colleagues for their significant contributions to Cardiovascular Medicine, were presented to four Faculty of the 23rd World Congress on Heart Disease:
- Robert Bourge, M.D., Professor of Medicine, Radiology, and Surgery, Senior Vice Chair, Department of Medicine, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
- Janos Filep, M.D., Professor of Pathology and Cell Biology, Director of the Laboratory of Vascular Immunity/Inflammation at the Research Center, Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital, University of Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
- Luisa Mestroni, M.D., Professor of Medicine at University of Colorado, Director of the Molecular Genetics Program of the CU-Cardiovascular Institute, Division of Cardiology, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, CO, USA
- Clive Rosendorff, M.D., Ph.D., D.Sc.Med., Professor of Medicine (Cardiology) Mount Sinai Heart, Icahn School of Medicine, and the James J. Peters VA Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
The Kanu Chatterjee Lifetime Achievement Award for outstanding contributions to the field of Cardiovascular Medicine was presented to Jeffrey S. Borer, M.D., Professor of Medicine, Cell Biology, Radiology and Surgery, at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center and College of Medicine, and Director of the Howard Gilman Institute for Heart Valve Disease.
The Opening Ceremony and Awards Presentations were chaired by Dr. John A. Elefteriades, New Haven, CT, USA; Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Director of the Aortic Institute at Yale University and Yale-New Haven Hospital; Chairman of the Scientific Executive Committee and Chairman of the Section of Cardiovascular Surgery, International Academy of Cardiology.
The following Members of the International Academy of Cardiology also took part in the Awards Ceremony:
- Naranjan S. Dhalla, Ph.D., M.D.(Hon), Distinguished Professor at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
- Wilbert S. Aronow, M.D, Professor of Medicine and Director of Cardiology Research, Westchester Medical Center and New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY, USA
- Samia Mora, M.D., MHS, Associate Professor of Medicine, at Harvard Medical School, Director of the Center for Lipid Metabolomics, Divisions of Preventive and Cardiovascular Medicine, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
The Twelfth H.J.C. Swan Memorial Lecture at the Opening Ceremony of the International Academy of Cardiology Annual Scientific Sessions 2018, 23rd World Congress on Heart Disease, was delivered by Deepak L. Bhatt MD, MPH, Executive Director of Interventional Cardiovascular Programs at Brigham and Women’s Hospital Heart & Vascular Center and Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA, on the topic of “Evolving Landscape of Antithrombotic Therapy for Atherosclerosis.”
Dr. Kimchi comments, "The International Academy of Cardiology is dedicated to the advancement of global research in cardiovascular medicine through the support of scientific meetings and publications.”
In his opening remarks, Dr. Kimchi commented, “Over the past 29 years, the World Congress on Heart Disease has been an outstanding meeting for aspiring young researchers to present their research and interact with senior investigators in a relaxed and convivial atmosphere.”
Dr. Kimchi added, “The faculty of the Congress has repeatedly attested to the high quality of the research presented in these scientific sessions and the excellent interchange of ideas that transpires at each meeting.”
The World Congress on Heart Disease, the annual scientific session of the International Academy of Cardiology, provides the opportunity for a comprehensive overview of current concepts and future directions in cardiovascular medicine.
“We are delighted by the interest which has been shown in this year’s Congress from clinicians and investigators from 41 countries around the globe. The 422 oral and poster presentations for this congress were carefully selected by the Scientific Abstract Review Committee from over 600 submitted abstracts,” said Dr. Kimchi.
Dr. Asher Kimchi, the Founder and Chairman of the World Congress on Heart Disease, is a former flight surgeon in the Israeli Air Force and is the Founder and Chairman of the International Academy of Cardiology. Dr. Kimchi is the Co-Medical Director of the Preventive and Consultative Heart Center at the Cedars-Sinai Smidt Heart Institute in Los Angeles, California. He is also a Clinical Professor of Medicine at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California.
The International Academy of Cardiology, Annual Scientific Sessions 2019, 24th World Congress on Heart Disease, will be held in Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 26-28, 2019.
For more information on future congresses, please contact:
International Academy of Cardiology:
PO Box 17659
Beverly Hills, CA 90209, USA
Tel: (310) 657 8777
Fax: (310) 659 4781
IAC on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IACardiology/
IAC on Twitter: https://twitter.com/iacardiology
IAC on YouTube: https://tinyurl.com/y88r29ef
IAC on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/iacardiology/