The Kevlar® team is constantly working with our partners to use our advanced materials in the creation of new innovative gloves that provide the best protection for wearer’s hands while also enhancing comfort, dexterity and productivity.
HOUSTON (PRWEB) October 23, 2018
DuPont Safety & Construction (DuPont) today announced the winners of the fifth-annual DuPont™ Kevlar® Glove Innovation Awards. The awards spotlight excellence in innovative glove and sleeve designs from DuPont™ Kevlar® licensees who push the limits of what’s possible to make work gloves and sleeves more durable and protective.
Innovation in this area is critical to worker safety. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the hand is the leading body part injured at work and treated in hospital emergency departments, with hand injuries sending more than 1 million workers to the emergency room annually in the United States.
“The Kevlar® team is constantly working with our partners to use our advanced materials in the creation of new innovative gloves that provide the best protection for wearer’s hands while also enhancing comfort, dexterity and productivity,” said John Richard, Vice President and General Manager, DuPont™ Kevlar® and Nomex®. “Wearers reduce the relative risk of hand injury by 60 percent by wearing proper gloves. Working with our partners, we’re crafting advanced hand protection that people want to wear in the modern manufacturing and industrial environment.”
Winning entries were chosen based on designs that utilized Kevlar® fiber in the glove and sleeve construction, were unique and groundbreaking in their approach, and challenged the boundaries of conventional cut protection. Entries were judged on a set of criteria based on excellence in the areas of innovation and benefits to the wearer including enhanced protection, increased dexterity, comfort and durability – all critical to safety and performance in the toughest industrial environments.
This year’s award winners, announced during a special reception at the 2018 National Safety Council Congress & Expo in Houston, Texas, are:
- Majestic for its 31-1365, a lightweight glove designed with Kevlar® for high cut resistance, comfort and dexterity. This new combination of materials created a comfortable, breathable, lightweight cut-resistant glove that doesn’t sacrifice mobility and has a palm coating that allows users to utilize touch screens.
- MCR Safety for its 93892NF, MCR Safety™ Cut Pro Series containing Kevlar® combined with steel/synthetic materials to achieve an A9 cut level. This new combination of materials offered the highest level of protection for steel fabrication applications.
- MCR Safety for its 9178OT, 9178O, 9174O, 9174OT, cut level ANSI A5 sleeve featuring 100 percent patent-protected, high visibility orange DuPont™ Kevlar® engineered yarn. This is the first sleeve available in Cut Level A5 in a high-visibility orange yarn made of Kevlar®, and the design has the added benefit of a better fit than a traditional tube sleeve.
- Protective Industrial Products (PIP), for its 10-KVSYBH series, Single-Ply Kevlar® Armor Blended Sleeve comprised of the DuPont™ Kevlar® 14/2's yellow/black heather yarn. This combination achieves ANSI A6 cut protection with a blousy fit that can be used over arms or clothing without sacrificing dexterity.
- Superior Glove Works, for its S18KGDNE Dexterity® cut-resistant glove made with 18 g Kevlar® composite filament fiber shell of protection that is the world’s thinnest, most comfortable arc flash level 3 rated glove. Eighteen needles per square inch are used to create this thin glove that preserves the manual dexterity of the user.
- Youngstown Glove Co., for its 16-5200-14 glove protector, a flame resistant 14" High Voltage Leather Protector with Kevlar®. Using a unique process where Kevlar® is attached to the leather prior to cutting and sewing, the construction allows the protective qualities of Kevlar® to work with the glove and avoids the feeling of bunching or a loose liner.
DuPont™ Kevlar® aramid fiber is used to make a variety of clothing, accessories and equipment safe and cut resistant. It’s lightweight, durable and extraordinarily strong. Invented over 50 years ago, DuPont™ Kevlar® continues to take on new challenges, with our scientists continuously innovating and working on a range of new opportunities through collaborations with communities, industrial manufacturers and governments. Together we’re bringing the strength, durability and performance of Kevlar® to new frontiers. Kevlar® aramid fiber is pushing boundaries and defying obstacles every day.
About DuPont Safety & Construction
DuPont Safety & Construction, a DowDuPont Specialty Products Division business, is a global leader in products and solutions that protect what matters – people, structures and the environment – and enables its customers to win through unique capabilities, global scale and iconic brands including Corian®, Kevlar®, Nomex®, Tyvek®, Styrofoam™ and Filmtec®.
About DowDuPont Specialty Products Division
DowDuPont Specialty Products, a division of DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP), is a global innovation leader with technology-based materials, ingredients and solutions that help transform industries and everyday life. Our employees apply diverse science and expertise to help customers advance their best ideas and deliver essential innovations in key markets including electronics, transportation, building and construction, health and wellness, food and worker safety. DowDuPont intends to separate the Specialty Products Division, which will be called DuPont, into an independent, publicly traded company. More information can be found at http://www.dow-dupont.com.
# # #
The DuPont Oval log, DuPont™ and all products, unless otherwise noted, denoted with ™, ℠ or ® are trademarks or registered trademarks of E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company or its affiliates.