BOSTON (PRWEB) November 28, 2019
Aesthetic tourism is especially developed in Thailand, where 20% of all patients are from abroad. Hair transplant is one out 5 of the most popular surgeries and the most frequently performed cosmetic procedures for men.
Hair transplant: facts and figures
- As the Hair Society reports, 35 million men and 21 million women suffer from alopecia or hair loss worldwide. Over 650,000 of them undergo hair transplant as the most effective treatment option annually.
- Surgical hair restoration procedures have been hiked by 60% since 2014 in agreement with ISHRS. 40% of them are covered by the USA, Brazil, Japan, Mexico, and Italy.
- The procedure is included in the Top 5 most popular cosmetic procedures with men, and its popularity goes on increasing.
- 87% of patients who get hair plantation are men, according to the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery. Nevertheless, every year, the procedure becomes more and more popular with women — 13% of patients who have a hair transplant are female conforming to the Society.
- The prevalence of hair plantation depends on the patient's nationality. Asians choose a hair transplant by 38% more often than European patients. IMTJ reports that surgeons conduct almost 200,000 hair implants in Asia and about 75,000 in Europe.
- Specialists implant the hair on the different body surfaces: in 89% of male cases, doctors transplant the hair on the scalp, in 4% — on the beard, 3% — on eyebrows. Hair transplant statistics in women differ. In 79% of female cases, surgeons implant the hair on the scalp and in 15% — on the eyebrows in accordance with ISHRS data.
Revolutionary methods of hair plantation
High demand gives rise to great discoveries. Doctors around the world are working on the development of new therapies that will help solve the hair loss issue by minimizing risks and reducing treatment time.
Except for the traditional hair transplant methods as FUE (follicular unit extraction) and FUT (follicular unit transplant), specialists apply stem cell hair restoration and robotic operation.
- Stem cell therapy for complete hair restoration — an organic method when hair is renewed with stem cells obtained from the patient's adipose tissue. Doctors inject the cells into the transplant area that promotes hair growth and allows avoiding surgery.
- Robotic hair transplant — a surgical method performed with a special robot device that assists surgeon during the surgery. It helps a doctor avoid tiredness, cut down the operation time, and implant as many grafts as possible to allow patient early return home.
A doctor chooses the most effective treatment method according to your personal features and test results.
Hair transplant market trends
The hair transplant market is one of the fastest-growing health care specialties. The market size of hair plantation has developed by 64% since 2014, according to ISHRS statistics, and accounts for 6.5 billion USD.
Four factors are affecting the surgical hair restoration market:
1. the increasing number of people who suffer from baldness over the world
2. the growing interest in self-care procedures within the Asia Pacific region
3. development of minimally invasive and painless hair transplant techniques
4. changing lifestyles globally.
Because of the high demand, there are a lot of clinics providing this procedure at different prices. According to Bookimed stats, the lowest hair transplant cost is offered in India and Turkey due to the general price policy within the country and residents' living wage. Patients also choose the UAE, Thailand, and South Korea in the interest of the combination of affordable prices and vacation.
About this study
This research is conducted by the Bookimed team and based on:
- internal Bookimed statistics and patient reviews
- surveys of authoritative organizations such as the International Medical Travel Journal (IMTJ) and the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS).
Bookimed is a global platform for matching medical facilities over the globe and arranging the medical trip in the shortest term. Over 300,000 users from almost 30 countries request Bookimed to get treatment assistance each month.
Bookimed is a medical tourism provider that cooperates with 340 medical centers to help each patient receive timely and high-quality health care. The services of this platform are free of charge for patients because all the proceeds Bookimed gets from the partner clinics.