The United States Fire Administration reports that over 3000 people died in home fires in 2018, more than 15,000 injured and the cost of loss due to fires exceeded $13 billion.
PISMO BEACH, Calif. (PRWEB) April 02, 2021
Having a fire safety plan for home and work is important for keeping family, employees and pets safe in the event of a fire, but taking the steps to prevent a possible fire is just as important. The fire damage experts from SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande have prepared a list of fire prevention tips to help families identify and fix potential fire hazards.
The United States Fire Administration reports that over 3000 people died in home fires in 2018, more than 15,000 injured and the cost of loss due to fires exceeded $13 billion. The same report lists cooking accidents as the leading cause, followed by issues with heating, carelessness, electrical malfunction, open flame and smoking. Intentionally set fires account for a little over 4-percent and naturally caused fires for 1.6-percent.
Regardless of the cause, fire is dangerous and every possible precaution taken is one more safety step in the direction of preventing a home fire. A home fire prevention plan helps raise fire danger awareness for every family member and helps everyone know what steps to take to removed a potential fire danger.
Using the fire prevention plan to educate everyone about the danger of fire, the safety steps to take in the event of a fire, and how to recognize fire hazards and how to prevent a hazardous situation from causing a fire. Here are the top considerations suggested by the Pismo Beach fire damage experts:
- Prevent cooking accidents by never leaving food unattended while the stove is on. Set timers for oven and broiler cooking. Keep the kitchen, stove and oven clean and free of built up grease.
- When cooking on an open flame, such as a gas stove or grill, keep hair tied back and be aware of clothing, pot holders, or dish towels that could catch fire. When grilling outside, keep a fire extinguisher or hose available, don’t have open flame under trees, porch overhangs or other flammable material.
- Know what a gas leak smells like and know how to turn off the gas at the main shut-off valve.
- Place fire extinguishers in the kitchen and in other easily accessible locations throughout the house. Teach older children and all the adults how to use them.
- Learn the signs of electrical problems that could cause a fire. Smoke or sparks coming from electrical outlets or an odd burning smell that can’t be located can indicate a serious electrical short. Over using extension cords or using the wrong cord for the job can cause an electrical short. Know how to turn off the electrical power into the home.
- Don’t leave the fireplace unattended and clean it thoroughly before using it again in winter. Keep furniture, toys, curtains and other flammable materials away from open flames and heat sources. Don’t leave space heaters unattended while they are on.
- Keep yard debris cleaned up, including fallen branches, branches overhanging the roof and debris that has collected around the base of the home, garage and any out buildings. Create a fire safety perimeter around the home as recommended by local fire authorities.
- Make sure every family member knows how to recognize fire hazards in the home and make sure children understand to tell an adult about the hazard.
- Create a fire escape plan and practice it a couple times a year.
- Teach children how to dial 911 to report a fire or other emergency.
Creating a fire awareness and safety plan might seem like a lot of work, but remember that fire prevention and safety are critical. It’s well worth the time.
If there is a fire, get everyone out of the home to a safe place and call 911. Once the fire is out and the fire department says it’s safe to enter, call the SERVPRO Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande fire damage experts.
The team will arrive to assess the damage, provide an estimate and even help process and monitor the insurance claim. Fire damage restoration can include remediating water damage, smoke damage and restoring personal property such as furniture, clothing and other items that didn’t burn but have been damaged by smoke or water. The SERVPRO Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande team is highly trained and certified in property damage restoration. Certifications include IICRC-industry certifications in all aspects of fire, water and mold restoration for both residential and commercial properties. No damage is too large or too small for SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande.
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande
1131 Pike Lane, Suite 9
Oceano, CA 93445