Massive invasion of ticks means tick control in the yard and for personal and pet safety is is more important than ever.
Huntingdon Valley, PA (PRWEB) May 15, 2017
A massive invasion of Ticks is in full swing thanks to a warm winter and wet spring bringing with it major worries about infection from dangerous tick borne illnesses like Lyme Disease and the Powassan Virus. But, besides exhausting head to toe checks after every outdoor excursion, what really works in the war against ticks? Giroud Tree and Lawn shares Tick Control strategies to keep ticks out of the yard and off of people and pets.
"Tick Control has never been more important," explains Lou Giroud, President of Giroud Tree and Lawn and ISA Certified Arborist. "With ticks expected to reach record numbers this summer, homeowners need to take extra precautions such as 100% Organic Tick Control treatments in the yard and establishing new outdoor habits for personal and pet safety."
Here’s how to take control of ticks in the yard:
1. Property inspection: Have an ISA Certified Arborist inspect the yard and identify areas where ticks are likely to thrive.
2. Perimeter Clean-up: Ticks are shade lovers and can’t survive in the sun. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) provides detailed recommendations for preventing ticks in the yard by creating a Tick Safe Zone including:
- Remove leaf litter.
- Clear tall grasses and brush around homes and at the edge of lawns.
- Place a 3-ft wide barrier of wood chips or gravel between lawns and wooded areas to restrict tick migration into recreational areas.
3. 100% Organic Tick Control: A PA licensed applicator needs to treat around the perimeter and other high risk areas. Giroud recommends using a 100% organic treatment made from essential oils including Peppermint and Cedar oils which are a natural repellent.
4. Deer Repellent: Deer are the primary carrier of ticks. Use a Deer Repellent treatment that is safe and water-resistant to deter deer from feeding on valuable plants!
5. Plant Selection: Have an ISA Certified Arborist identify plants that are attracting deer to the yard and suggest alternative plants.
For personal and pet safety, follow these tips from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
1. Repel Ticks on Skin and Clothing: Use repellent that contains 20 percent or more DEET, picaridin, or IR3535 on exposed skin for protection that lasts several hours. Use products that contain permethrin on clothing.
2. Find and Remove Ticks from Your Body
- Bathe or shower as soon as possible after coming indoors.
- Conduct a full-body tick check using a hand-held or full-length mirror
- Examine gear and pets. Ticks can ride into the home on clothing and pets.
- Tumble dry clothes in a dryer on high heat for 10 minutes to kill ticks on dry clothing.
For more information on tick control actions contact Giroud Tree and Lawn at 215-682-7704 or go to: https://www.giroudtree.com/tick-control.
About Giroud Tree and Lawn
Giroud Tree and Lawn specializes in tree service, tree removal and lawn care programs that make customers love doing business with the company since 1974. Serving Bucks, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties, the company offers professional tree and lawn evaluation, tree pruning, tree removal, insect and disease control, fertilizing, stump removal and traditional and 100% organic lawn programs to keep lawns healthy and green . Giroud Arborists are certified by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and have the knowledge and experience required to properly diagnose, treat and maintain trees and lawn health. The company is Accredited by the Better Business Bureau and has been awarded the Angie's List Super Service Award® every year since 2005. The “Giroud Treework for Charity” program donates free tree care services to parks, historical sites and other non-profit organizations located in the Company’s service area. For more information, visit the company website at https://www.giroudtree.com or call 215-682-7704.