MATTHEWS, N.C. (PRWEB) April 01, 2020
Harris Teeter today announced it will provide all hourly associates in its retail, distribution center, dairy and corporate office a Hero Bonus – a $2 premium above their standard base rate of pay, applied to hours worked April 1 through April 21. The premium will be disbursed weekly to ensure associates have access to additional cash.
Today’s announcement follows and is in addition to Harris Teeter’s previous commitment shared on March 24, which provided a one-time bonus to all hourly associates, which pays out on April 3.
“Our valued associates are true heroes, working tirelessly to ensure our communities have access to the food, medicine and essentials needed during this unprecedented event,” said Rod Antolock, president of Harris Teeter. “The Hero Bonus is one more way to convey our gratitude, not only to our existing associates but also to the more than 2,800 new hires who have joined the company and the additional 2,300 associates who will soon join the Harris Teeter family.”
Associate and Customer Well-being and Safety
“Harris Teeter’s most urgent priority is to provide a safe environment for our valued associates and our shoppers,” said Danna Robinson, Harris Teeter’s communication manager. “We’re taking several precautions to protect our shoppers and our Harris Teeter heroes who are working tirelessly to keep our stores open, clean and replenished.”
To protect associates and shoppers, Harris Teeter has taken several preventive steps, including:
- Enhancing our daily sanitation practices, including cleaning commonly used areas more often like cashier stations, self-checkouts, credit card terminals, food service counters and shelves.
- Permitting and working hard to procure protective masks and gloves for associates.
- Installing plexiglass shields at check stands, pharmacy counters and Customer Service registers across all stores.
- Adding floor decals to promote physical distancing at check stands and other locations throughout the stores by April 3.
- Adjusting store operating hours to allow more time for associates to rest, clean and replenish inventory.
Additional Associate Support and Resources
In addition to the Hero Bonus and appreciation bonus, Harris Teeter is taking several additional actions to support its valued associates during this extraordinary time, including:
- Ensuring qualified associates have access to emergency paid leave.
- Making funds available for those facing hardship due to COVID-19 through the Fred J. Morganthall, II Foundation – an internal assistance fund – which could offer financial support to associates who may be directly affected by COVID-19.
- Providing access to mental health services and other benefits to support associates’ mental and physical well-being during this stressful time.
- Supporting associates by hiring and onboarding more than 2,800 new hires and seeking an additional 2,300 associates including workers from the hardest-hit sectors like restaurants, hotels and food service distributors.
Harris Teeter, with headquarters in Matthews, N.C., is a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Kroger Co. (NYSE: KR). The regional grocery chain employs approximately 30,000 associates and operates stores in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Maryland, Delaware, Florida and the District of Columbia.