With children spending more of their daytime hours per day on the computer, especially in this new era of remote learning, parents need to be especially vigilant about protecting them from online dangers.
CHICAGO (PRWEB) September 20, 2020
HostForWeb, a premier internet hosting provider providing reliable, scalable solutions for customers of all sizes and services, today announced a series of important measures that parents need to take to teach young children about cybersecurity.
“Cyber predators, cyberbullying, and identity theft. They are all dangers facing children online every day,” said HostForWeb, CEO Max Emelianov. “With children spending more of their daytime hours per day on the computer, especially in this new era of remote learning, parents need to be especially vigilant about protecting them from online dangers.”
The threats facing young children are real. Cybercriminals are savvy about stealing sensitive information like account passwords, which may put family finances at peril.
“Because children are the ones most likely to post information online like pictures, travel plans, shopping habits, and more, they are unknowingly opening the door to phishing schemes and other threats,” Emelianov said.
Want to start a conversation with your kids about how to protect themselves and your family? Here are some tips to start:
- Keep their cell phone or tablet close. Never leave it unattended and locked.
- Never share passwords with anyone, even close friends.
- Do not post your birthdate, address, phone number, or the name of your school online.
- Ask your parents when you want to download an app to make sure it’s safe.
- Don’t talk with strangers via IM, live text, or email online.
- Make sure you don’t enter contests that ask for your personal information. If the offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
- Create a “passphrase” — random words you put together — for passwords to make them more difficult to decipher.
“Cybercriminals are becoming more sophisticated by the day, which means they are preying on the most vulnerable, children. Parents need to understand the reality of the online world’s new normal and take special precautions. The first step is talking with the children about these tips,” Emelianov said.
HostForWeb is a premier hosting provider providing reliable, scalable solutions for customers of all sizes. The company provides true 24/7 support from its 100 percent in-house team and strives to exceed all customer expectations. Visit hostforweb.com.