We look forward to applying these insights to continue ensuring access to products that provide both clinical and cost savings benefits for our members-Kayse Reitmeyer, Manager of Pharmacy Contracting, Highmark
PITTSBURGH, and RIDGEFIELD, Conn. (PRWEB) December 15, 2020
Highmark and Boehringer Ingelheim announced positive results from their outcomes-based agreement, which showed that adults with type 2 diabetes and known cardiovascular disease who took Jardiance® (empagliflozin) had a lower annual total cost of care compared with those prescribed other branded or generic anti-hyperglycemic medications. Jardiance is an oral prescription medicine indicated along with diet and exercise to lower blood sugar in adults with type 2 diabetes and to reduce the risk of cardiovascular death in adults with type 2 diabetes who have known cardiovascular disease. Jardiance is not for people with type 1 diabetes or for people with diabetic ketoacidosis (increased ketones in the blood or urine). Please see Important Safety Information below. Jardiance is a product in the Boehringer Ingelheim and Eli Lilly and Company alliance portfolio.
The innovative outcomes-based agreement, launched in 2018, was designed to evaluate the total cost of care for in-scope patients over a one-year period, using actuarial analytical methods. In the retrospective analysis of pharmacy and medical claims for adults with type 2 diabetes and known cardiovascular disease, the patients on Jardiance demonstrated a reduction in medical costs of over 30%. Factoring in both medical and pharmacy costs, the overall total cost of care reduction was more than 20% for patients on Jardiance.
“The results of our outcomes-based agreement with Highmark demonstrated that Jardiance can help reduce the economic burden of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease, underscoring its value to the healthcare system,” said Christine Marsh, senior vice president, Market Access, Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. “We are proud of our unique partnership with Highmark and our efforts show how pharmaceutical companies and payors can work together to ensure people living with these chronic, debilitating conditions get the best, guideline-directed care while lowering total medical costs.”
“Highmark is committed to developing solutions that provide access to treatments that improve outcomes and reduce the total cost of care for chronic conditions like diabetes and heart disease, which have a huge impact on our members and on our healthcare system,” said Kayse Reitmeyer, Manager of Pharmacy Contracting, Highmark. “The reduction in medical costs seen in this analysis may stem from fewer medical and hospital interventions related to diabetes and heart disease for Highmark members in the Jardiance group. We are pleased with the results of our outcomes-based agreement with Boehringer Ingelheim, and we look forward to applying these insights to continue ensuring access to products that provide both clinical and cost savings benefits for our members.”
Over 34 million Americans are living with diabetes, with type 2 diabetes accounting for 90 to 95% of all cases. Type 2 diabetes is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease and its complications. Type 2 diabetes and its complications impose a huge burden on the healthcare system. Annual medical expenses for people with diagnosed diabetes in 2017 was $237 billion representing a 26% increase over a five-year period, and costs for cardiovascular disease are projected to rise to more than $1 trillion by 2035.
About Type 2 Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease
Diabetes is a chronic condition that occurs when the body either does not properly produce, or use, the hormone insulin. More than 463 million people worldwide have diabetes, of which 232 million are estimated to be undiagnosed. By 2045, the number of people with diabetes is expected to rise to 700 million people worldwide. Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes.
Due to the complications associated with diabetes, such as high blood sugar, high blood pressure and obesity, cardiovascular disease is a major complication and the leading cause of death associated with diabetes. One in two people with type 2 diabetes worldwide die from a cardiovascular event.
What is JARDIANCE? (http://www.jardiance.com)
JARDIANCE is a prescription medicine used along with diet and exercise to lower blood sugar in adults with type 2 diabetes.
JARDIANCE is also used to reduce the risk of cardiovascular death in adults with type 2 diabetes who have known cardiovascular disease.
JARDIANCE is not for people with type 1 diabetes or for people with diabetic ketoacidosis (increased ketones in the blood or urine).
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
Do not take JARDIANCE if you are allergic to empagliflozin or any of the ingredients in JARDIANCE.
Do not take JARDIANCE if you have severe kidney problems or are on dialysis.
JARDIANCE can cause serious side effects, including:
- Dehydration. JARDIANCE can cause some people to have dehydration (the loss of body water and salt). Dehydration may cause you to feel dizzy, faint, light-headed, or weak, especially when you stand up.
You may be at a higher risk of dehydration if you:
- have low blood pressure
- take medicines to lower your blood pressure, including water pills (diuretics)
- are on a low salt diet
- have kidney problems
- are 65 years of age or older.
- Vaginal yeast infection. Women who take JARDIANCE may get vaginal yeast infections. Talk to your doctor if you experience vaginal odor, white or yellowish vaginal discharge (discharge may be lumpy or look like cottage cheese), and/or vaginal itching.
- Yeast infection of the penis. Men who take JARDIANCE may get a yeast infection of the skin around the penis, especially uncircumcised males and those with chronic infections. Talk to your doctor if you experience redness, itching or swelling of the penis, rash of the penis, foul smelling discharge from the penis, and/or pain in the skin around penis.
- Ketoacidosis (increased ketones in your blood or urine). Ketoacidosis is a serious condition and may need to be treated in the hospital. Ketoacidosis may lead to death. Ketoacidosis occurs in people with type 1 diabetes and can also occur in people with type 2 diabetes taking JARDIANCE, even if blood sugar is less than 250 mg/dL. Ketoacidosis has also happened in people with diabetes who were sick or who had surgery during treatment with JARDIANCE. Stop taking JARDIANCE and call your doctor right away if you get any of the following symptoms, and if possible, check for ketones in your urine:
- stomach-area (abdominal) pain
- trouble breathing
- Kidney problems. Sudden kidney injury has happened in people taking JARDIANCE. Talk to your doctor right away if you reduce the amount you eat or drink, or if you lose liquids; for example, from vomiting, diarrhea, or being in the sun too long.
- Serious urinary tract infections. Serious urinary tract infections can occur in people taking JARDIANCE and may lead to hospitalization. Tell your doctor if you have symptoms of a urinary tract infection, such as a burning feeling when passing urine, a need to urinate often or right away, pain in the lower part of your stomach or pelvis, or blood in the urine. Sometimes people also may have a fever, back pain, nausea or vomiting.
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia): If you take JARDIANCE with another medicine that can cause low blood sugar, such as sulfonylurea or insulin, your risk of low blood sugar is higher. The dose of your sulfonylurea or insulin may need to be lowered. Symptoms of low blood sugar may include:
o fast heartbeat
o shaking or feeling jittery
Necrotizing fasciitis. A rare but serious bacterial infection that causes damage to the tissue under the skin in the area between and around your anus and genitals (perineum). This bacterial infection has happened in women and men who take JARDIANCE, and may lead to hospitalization, multiple surgeries, and death. Seek medical attention immediately if you have fever or are feeling very weak, tired or uncomfortable (malaise), and you develop any of the following symptoms in the area between and around your anus and genitals: pain or tenderness, swelling, and redness of skin (erythema).
- Allergic (hypersensitivity) reactions. Symptoms of serious allergic reactions to JARDIANCE may include:
- swelling of your face, lips, throat and other areas of your skin
- difficulty with swallowing or breathing
- raised, red areas on your skin (hives)
If you have any of these symptoms, stop taking JARDIANCE and contact your doctor or go to the nearest emergency room right away.
- Increased fats in your blood (cholesterol).
The most common side effects of JARDIANCE include urinary tract infections and yeast infections in females.
These are not all the possible side effects of JARDIANCE. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Before taking JARDIANCE, tell your doctor if you:
- have kidney problems. Your doctor may do blood tests to check your kidneys before and during your treatment with JARDIANCE
- have liver problems
- have a history of urinary tract infections or problems with urination
- are going to have surgery. Your doctor may stop your JARDIANCE before you have surgery. Talk to your doctor if you are having surgery about when to stop taking JARDIANCE and when to start it again
- are eating less or there is a change in your diet
- have or have had problems with your pancreas, including pancreatitis or surgery on your pancreas
- drink alcohol very often, or drink a lot of alcohol in the short term (“binge” drinking)
- have any other medical conditions
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. JARDIANCE may harm your unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant during treatment with JARDIANCE
- are breastfeeding or are planning to breastfeed. JARDIANCE may pass into your breast milk and may harm your baby. Do not breastfeed while taking JARDIANCE
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your doctor if you take water pills (diuretics) or medicines that can lower your blood sugar, such as insulin.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit http://www.fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
For more information, please see Prescribing Information and Medication Guide.
About Highmark Inc.
One of America's leading health insurance organizations and an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, Highmark Inc. (the Health Plan) and its affiliated health plans (collectively, the Health Plans) work passionately to deliver high-quality, accessible, understandable, and affordable experiences, outcomes, and solutions to customers. As the fourth-largest overall Blue Cross Blue Shield-affiliated organization, Highmark Inc. and its Blue-branded affiliates proudly cover the insurance needs of more than 5.6 million members in Pennsylvania, Delaware, and West Virginia. Its diversified businesses serve group customer and individual needs across the United States through dental insurance and other related businesses. For more information, visit http://www.highmark.com.
About Boehringer Ingelheim
Making new and better medicines for humans and animals is at the heart of what we do. Our mission is to create breakthrough therapies that change lives. Since its founding in 1885, Boehringer Ingelheim is independent and family-owned. We have the freedom to pursue our long-term vision, looking ahead to identify the health challenges of the future and targeting those areas of need where we can do the most good.
As a world-leading, research-driven pharmaceutical company, more than 51,000 employees create value through innovation daily for our three business areas: Human Pharma, Animal Health, and Biopharmaceutical Contract Manufacturing. In 2019, Boehringer Ingelheim achieved net sales of around $21.3 billion (19 billion euros). Our significant investment of over $3.9 billion (3.5 billion euros) in R&D drives innovation, enabling the next generation of medicines that save lives and improve quality of life.
We realize more scientific opportunities by embracing the power of partnership and diversity of experts across the life-science community. By working together, we accelerate the delivery of the next medical breakthrough that will transform the lives of patients now, and in generations to come.
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., based in Ridgefield, CT, is the largest U.S. subsidiary of Boehringer Ingelheim Corporation and is part of the Boehringer Ingelheim group of companies. In addition, there are Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health in Duluth, GA and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. in Fremont, CA.
Boehringer Ingelheim is committed to improving lives and strengthening our communities. Please visit http://www.boehringer-ingelheim.us/csr to learn more about Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives.
For more information, please visit http://www.boehringer-ingelheim.us, or follow us on Twitter @BoehringerUS.
Jardiance® is a registered trademark of Boehringer Ingelheim.
Sheryl van der Hilst
Senior Associate Director, Public Relations
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.