If there was one thing you could do to help you lose weight, think better, be happier and live longer, would you do it?
SAG HARBOR, N.Y. (PRWEB) April 21, 2020
Now available to view on YouTube
“If there was one thing you could do to help you lose weight, think better, be happier and live longer, would you do it?” voiced Joyce Shulman – Pack leader of 99 Walks and Author of Walk Your Way to Better.
In her eight-minute TEDx Talk entitled “How More Walking Leads to Less Loneliness,” Joyce Shulman shares stories and science on how the simple act of lacing up your sneakers and walking out the door can do all of that and more.
Shulman founded 99 Walks to encourage women to get healthier and happier through the simple act of walking together. Her mission? Nothing short of getting a million women walking, encouraging fitness and wellness and helping combat the loneliness epidemic.
Unforeseen and unexpected, Shulman’s wish is manifesting as more people have taken up a regular walking practice in response to COVID-19.
Shulman’s hope is that this trend will continue after less strict global health guidelines are in place. For now, Shulman recommends creative ways to walk while still taking all precautions to stay well.
- Walk inside! 99 Walks offers 2-weeks free access to their unique house-walking classes. These classes are 15 minutes and can work in any house, home, and apartment. Their coaches also lead 30-minute treadmill classes that get the heart pumping and the time, and miles fly by!
- Walk with your family in your backyard, around your block, or along sparsely populated trails and open parks.
- Choose a time with a friend to take a solo walk together via phone. Just pop in your earbuds and reap the benefits of walking with a friend.
- Zoom-walk together! Encourage a loved one, especially a senior relative or friend, to stand-up and walk-in-place for five minutes while you chat by zoom. Action combined with connection.
- Discover the transformative power of mindful walking. Shulman’s recently released book Walk Your Way to Better encourages readers to walk toward the things that will bring joy, peace, success and fun.
Shulman, who also co-founded Macaroni Kid, shares in her TEDx talk a quote from Vice Admiral Vivek H. Murthy, who served as the 19th Surgeon General of the United States, “Loneliness and weak social connections are associated with a reduction in lifespan similar to that caused by smoking 15 cigarettes a day and even greater than that associated with obesity.”
Even when done virtually, creating community centered around walking can positively affect lives.
ABOUT 99 Walks
99 Walks is a monthly walking challenge app that inspires you to get up, get moving, and crush your walking goals. 99 Walks provides all the tools you need, including a walk tracker, 7 different styles of walking classes, team support and a welcoming and motivational community of like-minded women. It's a community of women improving wellness and inspiring happiness through the simple act of walking together. Inspirational exercise classes, podcasts, meditation and workout music to keep going. Monthly rewards for reaching your walking goals. Join with friends or make new friends to keep you motivated. Price: $16/month https://www.99walks.fit/joincommunity