“While in-person events are limited due to difficulties presented by COVID-19, we urge parents not to wait to have questions answered or confirm they are properly using a car seat that will offer their child the best protection,” said Joe Colella, director of child passenger safety at JPMA.
MT. LAUREL, N.J. (PRWEB) September 18, 2020
Child Passenger Safety Week (CPSW) 2020 is September 20-26, and is the annual week with a national focus on protecting children in cars. This year, JPMA and car seat manufacturers are banding together to support parents with a new suite of online resources and virtual seat checkups. The new educational access point fills the gap left by in-person seat checks and educational events typically available during this annual time of awareness.
Motor vehicle crashes are a leading cause of serious injury and death for children. A properly used car seat or belt-positioning booster seat, which works to transfer the violent energy of a crash away from a child, is the best defense, so choosing and correctly using a car seat for every ride is crucial for parents to keep their little ones safe while on the go.
“Parents of young children traditionally depend on in-person car seat check events during Child Passenger Safety Week where a certified car seat technician can confirm whether they are using the right car seat or belt-positioning booster for their child,” said Joe Colella, director of child passenger safety at JPMA. “While in-person events are limited due to difficulties presented by COVID-19, we urge parents not to wait to have questions answered or confirm they are properly using a car seat that will offer their child the best protection.”
Parents can access a full suite of resources from JPMA, car seat manufacturers and partners, including the National Highway Safety Administration, Safe Kids Worldwide and Kids and Cars, on a new dedicated Child Passenger Safety Week 2020 page at http://www.jpma.org/CPSWeek2020. Here, parents and caregivers can:
- Sign up for Seat Check Saturday virtual car seat check-up appointments
- Watch brand new educational videos on car seat selection, installation and correct use tips
- See easy-to-follow graphics that walk parents through when to transition from rear-facing to forward-facing to a belt-positioning booster, and, finally a seat belt, and learn about the importance of delaying each transition for the best protection.
- Connect with the manufacturer of their car seat for help using it correctly and to get answers to individual questions.
# # #
ABOUT JPMA The Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) is the voice of the industry on quality and safety for baby and children's products in North America. We do this by:
- Advocating for safety through product certification programs and legislative and regulatory involvement;
- Supporting a broad and diverse membership through member-only programming and industry promotion;
- And by acting as a comprehensive source for baby product information and education.
JPMA members represent 95 percent of the prenatal to preschool products sold in North America. To find out more about JPMA, our Certification Program and Certified products, and for a complete listing of JPMA Members, please visit https://www.jpma.org. Follow JPMA on Twitter @JPMA and connect with us on Facebook to learn about additional safety tips and JPMA initiatives.