"Our mission particularly focuses on keeping people first—ensuring that we're providing the utmost treatment and care to all of our clients and families." Juston White, KVC Hospitals Wichita Executive Director
WICHITA, Kan. (PRWEB) January 30, 2020
Since opening in July 2019, more than 500 Wichita-area youth have benefited from life-saving psychiatric treatment. Some of the ways KVC has helped these children include teaching them how to identify and talk about their emotions, helping them develop skills for coping with stress and trauma, and providing resources that will support them long after they leave our treatment center. For an inside look at the new hospital and to hear from community partners, watch this video.
Here are some of the services available to children while in our care:
- Family Therapy: Therapists work to improve communication, enhance a family’s ability to help their child, and provide a better understanding of mental health issues and behavioral concerns.
- Individual Therapy: Our licensed therapists help each child identify and understand their interpersonal challenges and learn new skills to deal with stress.
- Group Therapy: Our therapists work with a group of clients on improving social skills, enhancing coping skills and strengthening communication. This may take place in a traditional sense or using expressive therapies, such as art, music or recreation.
- Medication Management: Each child is assessed by a licensed physician and medication will be prescribed, as needed, and with parental/guardian permission, to best provide for symptomatic improvement.
- Family Education: Our treatment team provides parents/guardians with information and tools that will help them continue supporting their child once they leave our facility. For example, medication management, de-escalation techniques, cool-down procedures and emotion regulation.
- Behavioral Education: Our pro-social behavior program is designed to promote responsibility and self-esteem, measure motivation and enhance positive choices.
- Psycho-Educational and Group Activities: Trained behavioral health professionals implement activities such as anger management training, social skills development, empathy training, recreational exercise and much more.
- Learning Labs: Youth participate in a variety of educational activities to help them better understand and strengthen their brains.
"Our mission particularly focuses on keeping people first—ensuring that we're providing the utmost treatment and care to all of our clients and families," said Juston White, KVC Hospitals Wichita, Executive Director. "It's just a reality that many of us, youth and also adults, need additional support from time to time."
Learn how we responded to overwhelming demand for more children's psychiatric treatment in Wichita and Kansas.
About KVC Hospitals
KVC Hospitals is a nonprofit network of children’s psychiatric hospitals and residential treatment facilities. Each year, we serve thousands of youth ages 6 to 18 who are experiencing depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, impacts of childhood trauma, and other behavioral and mental health needs. Our team combines expert and compassionate psychiatric treatment with neuroscience-based resources to help our clients embrace their full potential, build resilience and thrive.
If you have questions about our Wichita treatment facility or how our team implements innovative psychiatric care at all of our locations, please contact:
Marketing and Communications Director, KVC Health Systems