ST. LOUIS (PRWEB) April 30, 2021
Mother's Day is the third most popular holiday in the world behind Christmas and Easter. But what do you do when your children’s mother is now a memory? International best-selling author of “Ordinarily Extraordinary,” Patrick P. Long, offers practical tips to help ease the pain of this holiday for children.
Based on his real-world experience raising four young children after his wife’s death two years ago, Long rejects pity and finds inspiration in daily life, even as life continues to beset him and his children with ordeals that continuously challenge his positive tone.
Patrick P. Long says, “Helping your children through this holiday when their mother has passed is difficult. I have discovered ways to help them cope and celebrate their mother on this day and every day.” Here are a few of Long’s suggestions:
- Do not dwell on sadness and loss also known as “The Negative,” turn everything to “The Positive”
- Have fun – Find alternate activities to keep their minds off things; cook dinner together (homemade pizza is great), create an obstacle course or build a sandbox in the backyard, do a day trip, etc.
- Recognize each child is grieving and remembering Mom in their own way; give them the opportunity to share their feelings and thoughts openly
- Discover and celebrate alternative moms (For example, aunts or other motherly role models in their lives: fill out cards for them during Mom’s Day projects at school or purchase/create a card/gift for them for the holiday; have this woman or women participate regularly in activities with them such as haircuts, grocery shopping, etc.)
- Do not replace Mom: Celebrate her in different ways such as making a card, story or present and “send” it to her or leave it at her gravesite (depending on age of kids and what they like to do)
Patrick P. Long’s enthralling memoir, “Ordinarily Extraordinary,” depicts his story of the final few weeks of his wife’s battle with breast cancer reflecting on illness, love and loss. In the story, Long focuses on setting a positive tone for his family after his wife, Melanie, passes. The book is a unique and rare look into the life, thoughts, and feelings of a husband and father coping with tragedy and seeking a new normal for his family.
About Patrick P. Long
As a child, Patrick P. Long developed an extraordinary passion for writing. Honing his penning skills, Long authored “Ordinarily Extraordinary,” a nonfiction publication detailing his wife’s battle with breast cancer and its effects on him, their children and marriage. A raw, revealing and intense real-life tale, “Ordinarily Extraordinary” became an international best-seller within the first few months of publication and continues to receive global five-star reviews and endorsements. Long was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri where he is raising his four children and supports the American Cancer Society and Camp Kesem, St. Louis University Chapter. For more information, contact 816.766.5010 or visit http://www.patrickplong.com.
About Paddy P Publishing
Home to international, best-selling author, Patrick P. Long and his premiere publication, “Ordinarily Extraordinary,” Paddy P Publishing, LLC is committed to producing and distributing the finest fiction and nonfiction publications worldwide via printed and digital formats. Headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri, USA with operations in the Kansas City, Missouri metropolitan area, Paddy P Publishing, LLC has swiftly proven itself a well-respected entity in the publishing industry. For more information, contact 816.766.5010 or visit http://www.patrickplong.com.