VALLEY COTTAGE, N.Y. (PRWEB) March 13, 2020
National Ramp published an overview of the access rights afforded to the elderly and people with disabilities during elections.
“Your physical limitations should never impede your rights, and it’s important for consumers to know that the law is on their side,” said Garth Walker, Managing Director at National Ramp.
Buildings Should Be Accessible
Since polling places are a mix of private and public buildings, some private buildings may not be fully accessible as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Access requirements include ensuring that:
- wheelchair users can get into buildings and to the polling locations safely
- people with visual impairments do not bump into protruding objects
- doors do not require tight pinching or twisting to open
“We’ve worked with municipalities across the country to provide short and long-term access to polling places,” said Walker. “It’s important that we remove the physical barriers that could be preventing a fellow citizen from exercising their civic duties.”
Temporary Modifications Can Help
Temporary low-cost measures can make your site accessible, such as:
- traffic cones creating accessible parking spaces
- a commercial modular wheelchair ramp with handrails
- propping doors open or a poll worker who opens a door when needed
- using cones to alert a person who uses a white cane to a protruding object
- the use of clearly marked signs leading to accessible entrances and polling locations
Walker added, “In addition to these temporary physical modifications, your polling place may offer additional modifications, including curbside voting or accessible polling in a separate room. Whatever the accommodation, remember that private and independent voting is your right.”
Advocate For Your Rights
National Ramp also encourages voters to check the list of Resources for Voters with Disabilities published by the US Election Assistance Commission, to call 866-OUR-VOTE for any issues at the polls, or to file a complaint with the ADA, who investigates access violations.
Founded in 2005, National Ramp is a leading manufacturer of modular ramps.
National Ramp and Product are either registered trademarks or trademarks of National Ramp in the United States and/or other countries.
The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
For more information, press only:
For more information on Product: