NEW YORK (PRWEB) September 13, 2018
NCPDP announced today that its NCPDP eRx Validation Suite is now available to test and ensure correct implementation of the NCPDP SCRIPT Standard Version 2017071 ahead of the January 1, 2020, implementation timeline. NCPDP’s SCRIPT Version 2017071 includes important functionality and transactions identified by the industry as vital enhancements in improving patient safety, clinical decision-making, and business and administrative efficiencies for all stakeholders – and for the ultimate benefit of patients and healthcare providers.
Among the enhancements in SCRIPT v2017071 are:
- Support for the electronic transmission of compound information, including ingredients and their quantities.
- Support for both veterinarian and non-veterinarian prescribers.
- Support for the reporting of allergies and adverse events.
- Support for the sending of laboratory testing dates and values.
- Directions for use now allow 1,000 characters and are included in the Sig element of SigText.
- Support for the inclusion of IV administration information, wound care information, and MTM services for specialty.
- Support for grouping of multiple prescriptions allowing for items like multiple dispensing and administration locations (such as school and home), injectable or IV medication, and associated supplies.
- Support for including diabetic supply information on a new prescription.
- Support for the sending of facility specific hours of administration for long-term care medication orders.
- Prescribers can choose when and if they want to receive the RxFill notification message based on the medication and the patient.
- The medication history response transaction has been enhanced to return data from Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP) administrators.
- Enhancements to digital signatures, as required for the electronic prescribing of controlled substance medications.
- Support for flavoring and the number of packages in which the medication is dispensed.
- Support for the manufacturer name, lot number and expiration date of the product.
SCRIPT Version 2017071 also contains electronic prior authorization (ePA) transactions, as well as transactions for new prescription requests, transfers, and Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS) request and response.
“NCPDP’s SCRIPT Standard supports a tremendous breadth of functionality to improve administrative efficiencies and patient care,” said Lee Ann Stember, President and CEO of NCPDP. “Implemented fully, SCRIPT gives providers actionable clinical data, within their existing workflows, for better informed clinical decision-making for the ultimate benefit of patients.”
Access the NCPDP eRx Validation Suite at: https://ncpdp.nist.gov/ncpdp-tool/#/home?d=2017.
NCPDP has planned educational programming to help EHR and ePrescribing system vendors and other health information technology professionals plan for and maximize functionality of SCRIPT v2017071 within their product enhancements and implementations:
- Webinar: What is XML and How is it Used in ePrescribing? September 18, 2018, 12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. ET. Learn more about how NCPDP’s SCRIPT Standard is developed and how Extensible Markup Language, or XML, is used in ePrescribing standards.
- Webinar: The Next SCRIPT Version: What is Changing, What to Expect, and What to Do About It September 25, 2018, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. ET. Regardless of where your organization is in its planning, bring your questions and attend this webinar dedicated to getting you on the path to a successful implementation.
- One-Day Educational Event: NCPDP’s 2018 Educational Summit on SCRIPT, November 6, 2018, in Charlotte, North Carolina. Learn about NCPDP’s SCRIPT Version 2017071 from a diverse group of experts handpicked by NCPDP, as you plan your implementation and rollout. Attend the full-day event to: get to know SCRIPT v2017071 in a comprehensive overview session; immerse yourself in deep dive sessions on targeted transactions; learn about what’s next for SCRIPT; and engage in interactive question and answer opportunities with a panel of experts.
Register for the 2018 Educational Summit on SCRIPT by October 5, 2018, to take advantage of the Early Bird registration rate.
Founded in 1977, NCPDP is a not-for-profit, ANSI-accredited, Standards Development Organization with more than 1,500 members representing virtually every sector of the pharmacy services industry. Our diverse membership provides leadership and healthcare business solutions through education and standards, created using the consensus building process. NCPDP has been named in federal legislation, including HIPAA, MMA, and HITECH. NCPDP members have created standards such as the Telecommunication Standard and Batch Standard, the SCRIPT Standard for ePrescribing, the Manufacturers Rebate Standard and more to improve communication within the pharmacy industry. Our data products include dataQ®, a robust database of information on more than 80,000 pharmacies, resQ™, an industry pharmacy credentialing resource, and HCIdea®, an innovative prescriber database that provides continually updated information on more than 2.5 million prescribers. NCPDP's RxReconn® is a legislative tracking product for real-time monitoring of pharmacy-related state and national legislative and regulatory activity. For more information about NCPDP Standards, Data Services, Products, Educational Programs and Work Group meetings, go online at http://www.ncpdp.org or call 480.477.1000.