“Grilling is personal and has evolved to a year-round lifestyle choice with everyone from first-time grill owners to popular pitmasters, and even notable football players choosing to ‘wintercue’ for the Big Game,” said Emily McGee, Director – Communications, HPBA.
ARLINGTON, Va. (PRWEB) January 24, 2019
Grill owners don’t put away their grills when the snow falls. According to Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association’s recent Barbecue Consumer Survey, when the NFL’s best take the field in February, 23 percent of grill owners cook their football feast in their backyards and on their decks – the highest percentage of any winter occasion.
In anticipation of winter’s biggest grilling day and as part of their ongoing multimedia campaign, #WhyIGrill, HPBA reached out to its followers and friends over social media to determine their game day grilling plans and more than 250 responded. An impressive 70% stated that they plan to grill when the Patriots and Rams take the field. While flavor (85%) and personal satisfaction (80%) topped the list of reasons to grill, the responses indicated that those surveyed love to grill and that there are many reasons to barbecue.
Of those who plan to grill, more than 93 percent will be dishing up a meaty flavor like hot dogs, burgers and brats, and 26 percent will sizzle up snacks including nachos and chili.
In addition, the survey found:
- Nearly 80 percent of those surveyed have grilled for the Big Game in the past.
- 89 percent of those surveyed plan to grill for other winter occasions.
- 73 percent of those surveyed grill as a hobby and enjoy experimenting with different grilling methods and foods.
- 58 percent of those surveyed grill for entertainment and note it’s a great reason to socialize with family and friends.
“Grilling is personal and has evolved to a year-round lifestyle choice with everyone from first-time grill owners to popular pitmasters, and even notable football players choosing to ‘wintercue’ for the Big Game,” said Emily McGee, Director – Communications, HPBA. “We at HPBA are inspired and motivated by this widespread grilling enthusiasm.”
To further capture this grilling enthusiasm, HPBA recently launched the #WhyIGrill campaign to get at the crux of why everyone fires up their grill. The #WhyIGrill” campaign turns to all current and prospective grillers encouraging they share online, in media, and via social their love for barbecuing, all unified by the #WhyIGrill hashtag.
When consumers were asked, ‘Why do you grill for the Big Game,’ responses included:
- ‘I love the fact that you have a mass amount of people pulling for two different teams, but when that food hits the table everybody is on the same team and all smiles!’
- 'No matter who is winning the game, folks are always happy to eat fresh grilled burgers, steaks, and brats!’
- ‘Adds festivity. A sociable way to prepare food for a crowd.’
- ‘Family and friends. Most of the time I don't even see much of the game. I just love BBQing.’
Ready to get your grill game on? Check out these recipes for inspiration: Yakitori Chicken Kebabs, Garlic Cilantro Lemongrass Wings, and Chicken Finger Poutine. And share your grilling creations on social media with #WhyIGrill.
About the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association (HPBA)
The Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association (HPBA), based in Arlington, Va., is the North American industry association for manufacturers, retailers, distributors, representatives, service firms and allied associates for all types of barbecue, patio and hearth appliances, fuels and accessories. The association provides professional member services and industry support in education, statistics, government relations, marketing, advertising and consumer education.