AMESBURY, Mass. (PRWEB) May 26, 2021
This week marks 5 years since Our Neighbors’ Table opened the Jardis-Taylor Center. The new facility in Amesbury provided a new home for staff, volunteers, and most prominently, the state-of-the-art grocery market and distribution warehouse. Through the generosity of the lead benefactor, Greg Jardis of Amesbury, and the thousands of donors who contributed to the $1.1 million campaign to Create a Place at the Table for Everyone, ONT was able to turn the traditional food pantry model on its head by offering a full-service grocery store, all free of charge, in a setting that reflected its core values of Service with Dignity and Community.
Over the last five years, ONT has surpassed their strategic goals:
- Declaring Amesbury its first food-secure city in 2018
- Surpassing 1 million meals per year in 2018 (originally projected for 2020), distributing a total of 5 million meals in 5 years
- Opening a second community market in Newburyport in 2018
- Doubling the number of people served each year from 2,000 to more than 5,000; serving a total of 8,365 people in 4,218 households over 5 years
- Launching a regional Food Security Advisory Group and setting a goal for a food secure region by 2029
- Served as a statewide and national model for guest-centered and equity-driven food access strategies.
Due to COVID restrictions, ONT will be celebrating this special occasion through videos and interviews being shared on its website, ourneighborstable.org, and its Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn pages.