A key finding is that voice assistant use on smartphones has risen from 51.5% of U.S. adults in 2018 to 56.4% in 2020.
LEESBURG, Va. (PRWEB) November 12, 2020
Voicebot Research (research.voicebot.ai) has published the second installment of the Smartphone Voice Assistant Consumer Adoption Report which analyzes the use of voice assistants on smartphones by U.S. consumers. A key finding is that voice assistant use on smartphones has risen from 51.5% of U.S. adults in 2018 to 56.4% in 2020. The higher adoption rate combined with population growth led to a 11% rise in voice assistant use while daily active use climbed at more than twice as fast.
“Most of the conversations today about voice assistants center around smart speakers and the rise of Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. However, nine years after the introduction of Siri on iPhone, the voice assistant user base on smartphones remains 65% higher than on smart speakers. As smart speaker growth tapers off, voice assistant use will increasingly be driven by smartphones. The biggest opportunity looks like embedded custom voice assistants within mobile apps. There is strong consumer demand for voice in apps that no one has attempted to measure before. This appears to be the most important trend right now in the voice assistant segment with strong consumer interest that we detail in the report along with market share and key demographic data for the leading assistants from the tech giants,” said Bret Kinsella, founder and research director for Voicebot Research.
The Smartphone Voice Assistant Consumer Adoption Report 2020 compares findings from October 2020 with the same time period in 2018. It includes over 50 charts and 40 pages of analysis. This data presented includes a demographic breakdown of smartphone voice assistant users, market share for Amazon Alexa, Apple Siri, Google Assistant, and Samsung Bixby, the leading voice assistant use cases on smartphones, the mobile app categories that have the most voice feature users, and much more.
Read a summary article about the topline findings here.
Download the Report or Executive Summary here.
Table of Contents
● Smartphone OS & Voice Assistants
● Use Cases & Sentiment
● General Purpose Voice Assistants
● Mobile App-Based Assistants
● Smartphone Peripherals
● Additional Resources
Some of the Data Presented in the Report Include
● Smartphone Ownership and Voice Assistant Use – comparing ownership and use rates in 2018 and 2020
● Smartphone Voice Assistant User Base – broken out by casual, monthly active, and daily active users 2018-20
● U.S. Smartphone Voice Assistant Relative Market Share – 2018-20
● U.S. Smartphone Voice Assistant Share of Interactions – 2018-20
● Smartphone Voice Assistant Adoption by Gender – overall adoption, plus voice assistant use by gender
● Smartphone Voice Assistant Users by Income – broken out by voice assistant
● Smartphone Voice Assistant Adoption by Age Cohort – for all voice assistants
● Smartphone Voice Assistant Users by Age Cohort – segmented by voice assistant
● U.S. Smartphone Voice Assistant User Frequency – 2018-20
● U.S. Smartphone Voice Assistant Use Per Day Per User – 2018-20
● Voice Assistant Monthly Active User Rate Among all Smartphone Owners
● Most Frequent Method for Accessing Smartphone Voice Assistants – mic from smartphone, car, earbuds
● Where Consumers Use Smartphone Voice Assistants by Frequency – both home and on the go contexts
● Frequency of Use for Nine Common Information and Entertainment Use Cases – segmented into tried, MAU, DAU
● Frequency of Use for Eight Common Productivity Use Cases – segmented into tried, MAU, DAU
● Ranking for Top 10 Most Popular Voice Assistant Use Cases Among U.S. Smartphone Owners
● What Consumers Say Would Cause Them to Use Smartphone Voice Assistants More – 2018-20
● Level of Consumer Privacy Concern Related to Smartphone-based Voice Assistants
● Ratio of Voice Assistant Adoption on iOS and Android Smartphones – 2018-20
● Usage Rate of Voice Assistants on iPhone – 2018-20
● Usage Rate of Voice Assistants on Android Smartphones – 2018-20
● Usage Rate of Voice Assistants on Samsung Smartphones – 2018-20
● Usage Rate of Amazon Alexa Across Smartphones – 2018-20
● Interest of U.S. Adults in Using Voice Assistants within Mobile Apps
● Use of Voice Assistants by U.S. Adults in Mobile Apps
● Smartphone App Voice Assistant Feature Interest by Consumers
● Smartphone App Voice Assistant Feature Use Experience by Consumers
● And more...
About Voicebot Research
Voicebot Research began conducting market analysis about the rising Voice AI industry in 2016 as part of Voicebot.ai, the leading global publication that tracks devices and software leveraging voice assistant and AI technologies. Voicebot Research publishes more than a dozen reports annually ranging from smart speaker and smart home device adoption across several countries to marketer adoption of voice apps as well as voice assistant use in the car, for healthcare, shopping, and more. The research is the most widely cited voice AI data globally in the news media, academic research, and at technology conferences. You can download reports and become a member at research.voicebot.ai.