New scientific innovations will have no value if consumers aren’t willing to buy them
(PRWEB) October 30, 2018
On October 24, 2018, the Agriculture Secretary, Sonny Perdue announced the newly appointed members that are serving on the National Agricultural Research, Extension, Education, and Economics (NAREEE) Advisory Board. Jayson Lusk, an AAEA Past President and Department Head at Purdue University’s Department of Agricultural Economics, is one of ten appointed to the board.
Lusk was named AAEA Fellow in 2015, and served as president from 2016 – 2017. In 2017 He was a Senior Fellow for the Breakthrough Institute as well as being awarded the Borlaug Communication Award for the Council for Agricultural Science and Technology.
As a Board member on NAREEE, Lusk will contribute to effective federal agricultural research, education, economics programs through broad stakeholder feedback and sound science. Members serve a three-year term
Lusk says “Agricultural research is critical to improving food security and sustainability, but we also have to consider how producers and consumers respond to new food and agricultural innovations. New scientific innovations will have no value if consumers aren’t willing to buy them.”
The ten appointed are (the category of stakeholder that each represents is noted in parentheses):
- Lisabeth Hobart, Government Relations Manager, GROWMARK Inc., Bloomington, IL (Category B. Farm Cooperatives);
- Chalmers Carr III, Owner, Titan Farms, Ridge Spring, SC (Category D. Plant Commodity Producer);
- Dr. Edmund Buckner, Dean & Director, Land Grant Programs, Alcorn State University, Lorman, MS (Category E. National Aquaculture Association);
- Dr. John Coupland, Professor of Food Science, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA (Category H. National Food Science Organization);
- Dr. Sarah Francis, Associate Professor of Human Sciences, Nutrition and Wellness, Iowa State University, Ames, IA Category J. National Nutritional Science Society);
- Dr. David Baltensperger, Department Head, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX (Category K. 1862 Land-Grant Colleges and Universities);
- Dr. James Allan, Executive Director of the School of Forestry, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ (Category V. National Forestry Group);
- Chad Ellis, Industry Relations, Manager, Noble Research Institute, Ardmore, OK (Category W. National Conservation or Natural Resource Groups);
- Dr. Robert Zeigler, Director General and CEO Emeritus, International Rice Research Institute, Portland, OR (Category X. Private Sector Organization involved in International Development); and
- Dr. Jayson Lusk, Department Head, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN (Category Y. National Social Science Association).
For more information, please contact Allison Scheetz in the AAEA Business Office.
ABOUT AAEA: Established in 1910, the Agricultural & Applied Economics Association (AAEA) is the leading professional association for agricultural and applied economists, with 2,500 members in more than 60 countries. Members of the AAEA work in academic or government institutions as well as in industry and not-for-profit organizations, and engage in a variety of research, teaching, and outreach activities in the areas of agriculture, the environment, food, health, and international development. The AAEA publishes two journals, the American Journal of Agricultural Economics and Applied Economic Perspectives & Policy, as well as the online magazine Choices. To learn more, visit http://www.aaea.org.