Three Champagne Houses Reinforce Their Commitments to Social and Environmental Impact
NAPA, Calif., Aug. 29, 2022 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- Champagnes Piper-Heidsieck, Charles Heidsieck & Rare Champagne, part of the family-owned EPI Group, are delighted to announce that the three producers have achieved B Corp certification status with the score of 91.9 points, verified by B Lab, the non-profit network founded in 2006.
Through this certification, these three iconic Houses in Champagne are strengthening their commitments to both social and environmental issues. This represents a crucial step in the reinvention of their practices towards a positive and purpose-driven business model.
B Corp certification is one of the most demanding to obtain, assessing the social and environmental impact of each brand with more than 200 questions as defined by B Lab, covering governance, employees, communities, and the environment. B Corp Certification involves being accountable to all stakeholders, not just shareholders, and being transparent by allowing information about one's performance to be measured against B Lab standards and publicly available on its B Corp profile on the B Lab website.
B Corp certification does not just assess a product or service. It assesses the overall positive impact of the company that supports it and engages it in a process of continuous improvement.
According to Damien Lafaurie, President & CEO of Champagnes Piper-Heidsieck, Charles Heidsieck & Rare, as well as the Wine and Champagne division of EPI Group: "We are very proud to join this community of pioneers who are driving a global movement of people using business as a force for good and transforming the global economy for the benefit of all individuals, communities as well as the planet. We are honoured to be the first producers in Champagne to achieve Certified B Corporation status and are fully committed to B Lab's vision of working towards an inclusive, equitable and regenerative economic system. We hope to inspire others in the wine industry to join the cause!"
"I am particularly proud of the tremendous work accomplished by the teams at Champagnes Piper-Heidsieck, Charles Heidsieck & Rare to achieve the profound transformation required for B Corp certification, and we will only continue to improve moving forward," adds Lafaurie. "My hope is that our particular approach will stimulate collective initiatives within the Champagne appellation concerning both social and environmental issues."
The concrete initiatives taken by the Houses to achieve B Corp certification include:
- Integrating a purpose in the status of the company, and becoming therefore a benefit corporation aiming to create a material positive impact on society and the environment
- Reducing the carbon footprint in line with the Paris climate agreement by 61% in absolute on scope 1 and 2 and by 46% in intensity per bottle produced on scope 3 by 2030 by joining the Science-Based Targets initiative and achieving net-zero carbon well before 2050
- Launching a drastic energy saving programme (-40% by 2025), eliminating completely the use of fossil fuels in production activities, and using 100% renewable electricity
- Moving 100% of suppliers to Europe by 2030
- Continuing sustainable environmental practices in their owned vineyards. The Houses currently use zero herbicides, zero pesticides, zero chemicals to treat rot, and zero CMR products. They also advocate the use of organic amendments, vitiforestry and all initiatives that promote biodiversity in the vineyards.
- Supporting the VDC (Sustainable Viticulture in Champagne) conversion of all winegrower partners by 2025
- Introducing sustainable development objectives for every single employee to accelerate the spread of best practices in all sectors and at all levels of the company
- A continued commitment to gender parity at every level of the organisation
- Encouraging a wide variety of employees by focusing on inclusion as well as the hiring of young talent from diverse backgrounds, as well as supporting "Nos Quartiers ont des Talents".
About Folio Fine Wine Partners: Founded by the Michael Mondavi Family in 2004, Folio Fine Wine Partners is an importer, fine wine agency and producer of quality wines from the world's premier and emerging wine regions, providing sales, marketing and public relations services to wine brands from Argentina, Austria, California, France, Italy, Portugal, South Africa, Spain and Washington State. For more information about Folio Fine Wine Partners, visit foliowine.com or via social media channels on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
About EPI: EPI is a private investment company chaired by Christofer Descours. The EPI Group plays a role as a committed shareholder in the companies it selects and supports in the development of its operations and the transmission of know-how. Its value creation strategy is based on several business divisions: Fashion and Luxury (Bonpoint, J.M. Weston) led by Valérie Hermann, Wine & Champagne with world-class Houses (Piper-Heidsieck, Charles Heidsieck, Rare Champagne, Biondi-Santi, Chateau La Verrerie, Tardieu Laurent, Isole e Olena) led by Damien Lafaurie, and Financial Investments, including real estate, led by Franck Hagège. The Group's teams are driven by a shared passion and ambition to unleash the full potential of the projects and talents it brings together.
About B Lab: B Lab is the non-profit network transforming the global economy to benefit all people, communities, and the planet, started in 2006 with the idea that a different kind of economy was not only possible, but necessary, and that business could lead the way towards a new, stakeholder-driven model. B Lab became known for certifying B Corporations, which are companies that meet high standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.
About Science Based Targets initiative: The SBTi is a partnership between CDP, the United Nations Global Compact, World Resources Institute (WRI) and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF). The SBTi call to action is one of the We Mean Business Coalition commitments.
Anna M. Viducic, Champagne Piper-Heidsieck, 917.952.4437, [email protected]
SOURCE Champagne Piper-Heidsieck