LOS ANGELES (PRWEB) June 06, 2019
The IRS reports that thousands of taxpayers have lost millions of dollars due to tax scammers. Taxpayer's private information and financial assets are at risk for scammers claiming to be the IRS via regular mail, telephone, or email. The IRS and Platinum Tax Defenders want taxpayers to know that the IRS does not initiate contact with taxpayers by email, text message, or social media channels to request private or financial information. When the IRS wants to contact a taxpayer regarding an outstanding debt, they'll typically do so via regular mail delivered by the United States Postal Service.
However, sometimes, the IRS will visit your home or business, depending on the situation. Typically, if you have an overdue tax bill or at potential risk for a company or personal audit, the IRS will pay you a visit in person. It's important to know when the IRS is contacting you, and when it's a scam.
When the IRS is attempting to contact you about an outstanding tax debt, they won't do the following.
- The IRS will not call to demand that you pay immediately over the phone via credit card or debt card. If you owe money to the IRS, you will generally find out first through a bill sent in the mail.
- Additionally, the IRS will not demand that you pay back your tax debt without providing you with the opportunity to appeal the amount you owe. Taxpayers have rights when it comes to paying back taxes.
- The IRS will also not bring in local police, immigration officers, or other law enforcement officials to arrest you for not paying. If you receive a call from someone threatening to arrest you if you don't pay back taxes, it's likely a scam.
For taxpayers who have received any forms of communication from the IRS, it's beneficial to seek counsel from a Los Angeles tax attorney who can help determine if the communication is legitimate. If a taxpayer does owe a debt, a tax attorney can also advise on tax resolution service options to pay back the tax debt in an affordable and timely manner.
Also, if you owe taxes, the IRS will instruct you to make checks payable to the "United States Treasury." The IRS will also provide specific guidelines on how to make these tax payments. If taxpayers are receiving any form of communication from the IRS, it's usually for one of the below three reasons:
- Collection: IRS collection representatives can call or visit your home or business, unannounced, to collect a tax debt. However, the collection representative will not demand that you make a payment immediately to any source other than the U.S. Treasury.
- Audits: If an IRS employee is conducting a review, he or she may call taxpayers to set up appointments or to discuss items with the taxpayer. However, the IRS employee will first notify the taxpayer by mail.
- Criminal Investigations: If a taxpayer is under a criminal investigation, an IRS investigator may visit a taxpayer's home or business unannounced to conduct the investigation. However, be aware that these agents will not demand any payment.
The IRS and Platinum Tax Defenders encourage taxpayers to be aware of IRS impersonators. Many IRS impersonators use threats to intimidate taxpayers into paying a fake tax bill. These scammers may even threaten to arrest or deport the apparent victim. For an updated list of tax scams and consumer alerts, visit the IRS website.
About Platinum Tax Defenders
Platinum Tax Defenders, a subsidiary of Cardiff Lexington Corporation, (Cardiff Lexington Corp (CDIX) ) has been helping individuals navigate their tax situations with the IRS since 2011. The top-rated tax firm's tax resolution services have saved thousands of clients hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax debt. The expert team at Platinum Tax Defenders has experience working with entrepreneurs, individuals, and small businesses alike. Platinum Tax Defenders (http://www.platinumtaxdefenders.com) is a forward-thinking leader in the tax resolution industry. The expert tax relief services team works with taxpayers who are struggling with small to large tax debts. Platinum Tax Defenders offers a wide variety of tax resolution, bookkeeping, and tax preparation services for individuals and businesses.