"Getting a refurbished iPhone instead of a brand new one can still save hundreds of dollars. However, the biggest savings currently are without doubt across Androids. Apple products are slow depreciators and renewed Apple products equally hold their price!" - Sarah McConomy, COO of SellCell
CHICAGO (PRWEB) August 28, 2020
The US's largest cell phone trade-in price comparison site, SellCell.com has released a new savings comparison survey that details which refurbished cell phones offer the best savings vs the current price of buying them new.
The SellCell analysis looked at the five most popular brands on the market - iPhone, Samsung, Google, OnePlus and LG - and compared the current MSRP of leading phone models with the refurbished price.
It’s no secret that you can save a lot of money opting for a refurbished phone instead of a brand new one. Industry statstics show that most phones lose a good chunk of their market value in just a few months following their release. And that’s what makes the re-commerce market an attractive option for bargain hunters. So, how much can you actually save by buying a refurbished phone? And which smartphone brands offer the most savings?
Key Findings – Which Refurbished Smartphones Save the Most?
- Android Refurbs Offer the Best Bang-For-Your-Buck!
- If you’re looking to maximize your savings when shopping for refurbished phones, Samsung and Google Pixel phones are your best bet. Samsung and Google top the savings chart, as buyers can save anywhere from 40 to 55% on smartphones released in the last two years vs the current MRSP.
- The best value refurbished phone on the market is a Samsung S9+, which offers buyers a 55% saving vs a brand new model to the same specification.
- Refurbished Apple iPhones on average can save someone 22% vs a current new option. But iPhones offer 20% Less Savings than Refurbished Samsung & Google Phones.
- Buyers can save, on average, close to a whopping 36% on Samsung’s 2020 high-end flagships when bought refurbished. This means you can pick up a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra with top-of-the-line specs and features for just $814, a whopping 41.86% discount over the listed price of $1400.
- LG refurbished phones takes the third spot in terms of savings, and refurb buyers can save between 32% and 48% on handsets launched in the last two years.
- OnePlus phones depreciate at a similar rate as iPhones and their refurbished phones offer savings of around 22% vs buying a brand new model.
Top 10 Best Refurbished Phone Deals (Table ONE)
1. Samsung Galaxy S9+, 2018 Launch, Current MSRP $620, Refurbished Price $280, Saving $340 / 54.84%
2. Samsung Galaxy S9, 2018 Launch, Current MSRP $466, Refurbished Price $218, Saving $248 /53.22%
3. Google Pixel 3a XL, 2019 Launch, Current MSRP $479, Refurbished Price $230 Saving $249/ 51.98%
4. Google Pixel 4 XL, 2019 Launch, Current MSRP $899, Refurbished Price $445, Saving $454/ 50.50%
5. LG V35 ThinQ, 2018 Launch, Current MSRP $300, Refurbished Price $156, Saving $144/ 48.00%
6. Google Pixel 4, 2019 Launch, Current MSRP $799, Refurbished Price $429, Saving $370/ 46.31%
7. LG V40 ThinQ, 2018 Launch, Current MSRP $320, Refurbished Price $180, Saving $140/ 43.75%
8. Google Pixel 3, 2018 Launch, Current MSRP $355, Refurbished Price $200, Saving $155.00/ 43.66%
9. LG G7 ThinQ, 2018 Launch, Current MSRP $300, Refurbished Price $175, Saving $125/ 41.67%
10.Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Launch 2018, Current MSRP $648, Refurbished Price $369, Saving $279/ 43.06%
- With the refurbished option going at $280 and offering savings worth $340 (54.84% off the market price of $620), Samsung’s two-year-old Galaxy S9+ earns the top spot.
- Ranked second is yet another Samsung phone, Samsung Galaxy S9, whose refurbished variant currently sells at $218. That’s a discount of more than 53% and savings of $248; the phone goes for $466 brand new.
- Besides the above two, there’s a third Samsung phone that can be quite a bargain for phablet fans: Samsung Galaxy Note9. Although the phone is two years old at this point, it still retails for $620 on Amazon. However, you can save $279 off that price and grab one refurbished for as low as $369.
- A total of four Google Pixel refurbished phones, thanks to lower trade-in values, have managed to make it to the list — Pixel 3, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, and Pixel 4 XL. For the uninitiated, Pixel 3 was released back in late 2018, while the other three are 2019 devices.
- Google’s official store lists the price of Pixel 3a XL as $479, Pixel 4 as $799, and Pixel 4 XL as $899, but taking the refurbished route can bring that down to $230 (~52% off), $429 (46.31%), and $445 (50.5%) respectively. Also, Google Pixel 3 is currently $355 on Amazon, but you can buy it refurbished for just $200 (43.66% off).
- LG smartphone sales have dropped significantly in the last few years, and so finding newer LG models in the refurbished market isn’t going to be easy. But if you’re lucky enough, you can snag a $300 LG V35 ThinQ for as low as $156, a solid $144 discount (48%) over the current sticker price of $300.
- Two other 2018 LG phones featured in the list are LG G7 ThinQ and LG V40 ThinQ. The current market prices are $320 for V40 ThinQ and $300 for G7 ThinQ, but you can get it refurbished for just $180 and $175, respectively (savings about 43% off each).
Best Refurbished iPhone Deals (Table TWO)
1. Apple iPhone XS Max, Launch 2018, Current MSRP $750, Refurbished Price $539, Savings $211/ 28.13%
2. Apple iPhone XR, Launch 2018, Current MSRP $599, Refurbished Price $433, Savings $166/ 27.71%
3. Apple iPhone XS, Launch 2018, Current MSRP $650, Refurbished Price $489,Savings $161 /24.77%
4. Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max, Launch 2019, Current MSRP $1,099, Refurbished Price $850, Savings $249/ 22.66%
5. Apple iPhone 11 Pro, Launch 2019, Current MSPR $999, Refurbished Price $779, Savings $220/ 22.02%
6. Apple iPhone 11, Launch 2019, Current MSRP $699, Refurbished Price $569, Savings $130 / 18.60%
7. Apple iPhone SE (2020), Launch 2020,Current MSRP $399, Refurbished Price $334, Savings $65/ 16.29%
- The 2018 iPhone XS Max presents the best deal among refurbished iPhones; it can be bought refurbished for $539 (about 28% off current MSRP of $750).
- In the case of iPhone XR and iPhone XS, buying refurbished will knock 27.7% and 24.77% off of their current retail price of $599 and $650, effectively bringing the price down to $433 and $489 respectively.
- Apple’s iPhone 12 lineup is not official yet, and so iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max are the best flagship phones the company has to offer thus far. While the retail price of $699, $999 and $1099 remain unchanged since their launch last year, refurb deals can save you $130 (18.6%), $220 (22% off) and $249 (22.66% off) on iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max respectively.
- Interestingly, Apple’s new iPhone SE 2020, launched late April, has also made it to the refurb market fairly early and currently sells for about $334 – 16.29% off the MSRP of $499.
Best Refurbished Samsung Deals (Table THREE)
1. Samsung Galaxy S9+, Launch 2018, Current MSRP $620, Refurbished Price $280, Saving $340 /54.84%
2. Samsung Galaxy S9, Launch 2018, Current MSRP $466, Refurbished Price $218, Saving $248/ 53.22%
3. Samsung Galaxy Note9, Launch 2018, Current MSRP $648, Refurbished Price $369, Saving $279 / 43.06%
4. Samsung Galaxy S10, Launch 2019, Current MSRP $750, Refurbished Price $435, Saving $315 /42.00%
5. Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra (5G), Launch 2020, Current MSRP $1,400, Refurbished Price $814, Saving $586 / 41.86%
6. Samsung Galaxy S10+, Launch 2019, Current MSRP $850, Refurbished Price $499, Saving $351/ 41.29%
7. Samsung Galaxy S10e, Launch 2019, Current MSRP $600, Refurbished Price $344, Saving $256 / 42.67%
8. Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite, Launch 2020, Current MSRP $650, Refurbished Price $400, Saving $250 /38.46%
9. Samsung Galaxy S20 (5G), Launch 2020, Current MSRP $1,000, Refurbished Price $655, Saving $345 /34.50%
10. Samsung Galaxy S20+ (5G), Launch 2020, Current MSRP $1,100, Refurbished Price $758, Saving $342 / 31.09%
- Besides the Samsung phones that made it to the list featuring some of the best Android refurb deals, you can also save quite a bit on the firm’s relatively new S10 and S20 lineups.
- The Galaxy S10 series has been discounted by an average of 42% across the board. You can score a $600 Galaxy S10e for $344, a $750 Galaxy S10 for $435, and an $850 Galaxy S10+ for $499.
- Samsung’s latest budget addition to the Galaxy S10 series, Galaxy S10 Lite, is also up for grabs for just $400 (38.46% discount), down from the original price of $650.
- Even Samsung’s latest Galaxy S20 flagship series is available refurbished at a nice discount averaging 36% from retail; the deal cuts the price of $1400 Galaxy S20 Ultra (5G) by $586, $1200 Galaxy S20+ (5G) by $342, and $1000 Galaxy S20 (5G) by $345.
ARTICLE SOURCE: (Including Graphs, Data and Methodology)
SellCell is the number one cell phone trade-in price comparison site in the United States. It guarantees customers earn the highest price for their phone since SellCell compares prices between more phone trade-in sites than its competitors. Customers have used SellCell to trade in over 2 million devices since 2008. SellCell also offers users a price comparison across leading brands of refurbished phones & tech, ensuring that users always get the best price if they are selling or buying used electronics.
Chief Operating Officer - SellCell