WILTON, Conn. (PRWEB) July 19, 2018
Toluna, leading provider of consumer insights for the on-demand economy, announced today the release of its first State of Digital Disruption Report. Based on data gathered from the TolunaInsights™ platform, the report is a comprehensive industry resource that provides marketers and insights professionals with a line of sight to the state of digital disruptor brands such as consumer adoption, category preferences, purchase behaviour, marketing influence, and factors affecting loyalty.
Digital disruptor brands are web or app-based services that have transformed a traditional way of doing things. Industries included in the report are: Quick-turn shipping retailers (e.g. Amazon, Walmart), entertainment services (e.g. Netflix, Hulu), transportation services (e.g. Uber, Lyft), photo ordering services (e.g. Shutterfly, Snapfish), conferencing and chat services (e.g. Slack, WhatsApp), health and beauty (e.g. Birchbox, Dollar Shave Club), rental services (e.g. AirBnB, VRBO), meal kits (e.g. HelloFresh, BlueApron), and wardrobe subscription services (e.g. Rent the Runway, Trunk Club).
Highlights from Toluna’s 2018 State of Digital Disruption Report:
The Most Widely Popular Disruptors
- 70% of all respondents reported having used quick-turn shipping retailers like Amazon and Walmart.
- 13% of all respondents reported having used a wardrobe subscription service like Rent the Runway and Trunk Club.
- Innovators noted greater use of entertainment services such as Netflix and Hulu (72%), which explains the increasing popularity of cord cutting, possibly bolstered by the original programming offered by some popular names in this category.
Getting Consumers to Sign Up
- 23% of all respondents reported the most recent time they had signed up for or purchased from a new digital disruptor brand was less than a month ago.
- 26% of all respondents reported never having signed up for or purchased from a digital disruptor brand.
- 55% of Laggards reported having never signed up for a digital disruptor brand.
Attracting Consumer Attention
- According to all respondents, word of mouth is the most remembered marketing for a digital disruptor brand (25%).
- Social Media came in second at 18 percent, and digital/web-based ads were recalled by 17 percent of all respondents.
- 50% of Innovators reported that an out-of-home marketing campaign by a digital disruptor brand (such as subway or bus ads, billboards, etc.) influenced their buying decision.
The report also uncovered insights into factors that most influenced prospects to become buyers, factors that would influence a customer to discontinue use of a digital disruptor brand, and consumers’ opinion on the future of digital disruption. The full report can be accessed here.
About Toluna’s State of Digital Disruption Report
Toluna surveyed 1,000 people between the ages of 18 and 55+ across the United States about their use of, opinions around and interest in digital disruptor companies and marketing. Digital disruptor brands are defined as those that have transformed a traditional way of doing things using web or app-based services. Consumers were asked to self-identify in terms of their adoption of new products and services modeled after Everett Rogers’ five consumer types including Innovators, Early Adopters, Early Majority, Late Majority and Laggards.
Toluna provides consumer insights designed to empower success in today's on-demand, global economy. Powered by the perfect fusion of technology, expertise, and the largest global community of influencers at the ready, Toluna delivers rich, reliable, real-time insights to individuals, and companies of all sizes.
Our automated consumer insights platform, TolunaInsights™ underpins everything we do. Clients can access the platform directly, leverage Toluna’s managed services, or create fully-customized digital consumer insights programs via our engineered services.
Toluna is committed to promoting Insights on Demand, an entirely new way for businesses to obtain insight and understand constantly shifting consumer sentiment and taste in the on-demand economy. Toluna is a founding member of the Insights on Demand Consortium, a multi-lateral group that's advancing the principles and adoption of Insights on Demand. The company has 24 offices globally spanning Europe, North America, South America, Asia Pacific, and MENA.