NEW YORK, Feb. 28, 2020 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- In an effort to raise awareness and educate the public of the dangers of drowsy driving--a behavior causing more than 100,000 crashes annually--Super 8 by Wyndham, the world's largest economy hotel brand, has collaborated with sleep expert Dr. Janet Kennedy to promote its #JourneySafe campaign. Recently, Dr. Kennedy conducted a nationwide satellite media tour to discuss the highly underreported issue of drowsing driving and Super 8's #JourneySafe campaign is generating awareness and enabling consumer advocacy.
A video accompanying this announcement is available at: https://youtu.be/K0Wb2DQjsf4
The #JourneySafe campaign is spreading its message to drivers across America just ahead of National Sleep Awareness Month in March and Daylight Saving Time on March 8 when the changing of the clocks impacts our sleep cycle, causing an increase in drowsy-driving related crashes. The campaign debunks common myths of keeping yourself awake and attentive while drowsy on the road and encourages sleepy drivers to instead pull over to catch some rest at a hotel.
Facts about drowsy driving:
- More than 40% of drivers admit to falling asleep at the wheel at least once, according to the National Safety Council.
- Sleep deprivation can have similar effects on your body as drinking alcohol. A drunk driver can often drive slowly and try to react, but a drowsy driver can nod off while still going fast, according to the Sleep Foundation.
- Research shows that getting less than five hours of sleep is the same as driving drunk, with 11.5 times the crash risk, according to AAA.
- Drowsy driving accidents are the most common late at night and early in the morning…during the body's natural sleep period, according to American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
- Microsleep, a brief episode of sleep lasting between 1-10 seconds, occurs when a drowsy person is trying to fight sleep and remain awake, according to Very Well Health.
For more information, to view toolkit resources and pledge to not drive drowsy, visit Super8.com/JourneySafe
About Dr. Janet Kennedy:
Dr. Janet Kennedy, PhD, licensed Clinical Psychologist, is the founder of NYC Sleep Doctor where she provides tailored treatment programs for insomnia and other sleep problems in adults and children
YourUpdateTV is a social media video portal for organizations to share their content, produced by award-winning video communications firm, D S Simon Media (http://www.dssimon.com). It includes separate channels for Health and Wellness, Lifestyle, Media and Entertainment, Money and Finance, Social Responsibility, Sports and Technology.