All of these frequent changes and new setups create an opportunity for waste. That is why we are embarking on a Smart Intelligent Factory (SIF) approach.
ZHONGSHAN, China (PRWEB) November 17, 2020
Star Rapid, one of the world's premier rapid prototyping, rapid tooling and low-volume manufacturing service providers, is pleased to announce the implementation of a Smart Intelligent Factory (SIF) approach. This manufacturing shift will help optimize their production operations by employing Manufacturing Execution System (MES) software and hardware.
“More and more factories are dealing with higher mixes and lower volumes, which results in smaller production batches. At Star Rapid, for example, we perform production runs that range from a single part to a few thousand,” explains Gordon Styles President and founder of Star Rapid. “All of these frequent changes and new setups create an opportunity for waste. That is why we are embarking on a Smart Intelligent Factory (SIF) approach.”
A Smart Intelligent Factory employs MES software and hardware to optimize production operations as follows:
- First, sensors are installed on all equipment to acquire real-time data, which is then shared in a local network. This enables machine-to-machine and system-to-machine communications.
- Using this information, a virtual 360 degree map can be produced showing all operations, from incoming material inspection to finished packing and shipment. This type of integrated view assists the effective implementation of AI and machine learning in order to achieve optimal results.
- By processing real-time data from machine sensors and then applying AI and machine learning from that data, it becomes possible to predict critical events and take preventive action to avoid potential problems.
Potential benefits include:
- End-to-end traceability for quality management
- Process control and capability alerts
- Predictive maintenance for equipment
- Factory monitoring including dashboards, KPI and OEE
- Predictive scheduling with anomaly detection
- Pricing and cost optimization
- Material & vehicle routing
Mr. Styles explains how SIF is now vital to digital businesses. “Simple automation is not sufficient to keep up with the market and the development of Industry 4.0. An intelligent factory solution is essential for continuing to deliver the best services and products to our customers.”
Star Rapid was an early adopter of intelligent manufacturing and lean production. To stay ahead of the competition, the company continues to invest in research and development, equipment updates, system upgrades and skills development. Launching the Smart Intelligent Factory is the latest step in their evolution to become the finest supplier of advanced manufacturing services for rapid product development. To view Star Rapid’s past work, visit https://www.starrapid.com/case-studies/.
About Star Rapid:
Star Rapid is one of the world's premier rapid prototyping, rapid tooling and low-volume manufacturing service providers. With international sales representatives in North America, Europe, the UK and Asia-Pacific, Star Rapid provides world-class product development solutions with local service and support. To learn more, please visit https://www.starrapid.com/.