FAIRFAX, Va. (PRWEB) December 17, 2018
The Irrigation Association congratulates Congress on passing the Agricultural Improvement Act of 2018, otherwise known as the farm bill. Though not perfect, the farm bill has many key elements that the IA supports, and the IA looks forward to working with the U.S. Department of Agriculture in implementing these programs, once signed into law by President Trump. These key elements include
- funding of the Environmental Quality Incentives Program at $1.75 billion in fiscal year 2019 and increasing to $2.025 billion in fiscal year 2023.
- increasing the opportunities for EQIP participation to irrigation districts.
- recognizing the benefits of efficient irrigation relating to nutrient management and application.
- funding of the Foundation for Food and Agriculture Research at $185 million.
- increasing the investment in rural broadband to $350 million.
- investing in irrigation-specific crop insurance research and provisions.
The IA now calls for President Trump to sign this farm bill and for the new Congress to continue investing in the future of agricultural irrigation, focusing on programs that ensure the United States agricultural industry not only remains globally competitive, but also provides a safe and reliable food supply for years to come.
About the Irrigation Association
The Irrigation Association is the leading membership organization for irrigation companies and professionals. The IA is committed to promoting efficient irrigation and to long-term sustainability of water resources for future generations. The IA works to improve industry proficiency, advocate sound water management and grow demand for water-efficient products and services. For more information, visit http://www.irrigation.org.