(PRWEB) September 26, 2017 -- Thirty radiologists from seven of Strategic Radiology’s 26 member practices will contribute to work undertaken by the Watson Health Medical Imaging Collaborative to advance natural language processing capabilities used in future cognitive medical imaging solutions. The radiologists will provide expert annotation of de-identified medical images that will be used by IBM to train Watson to recognize various medical imaging terms that would be found in a patient’s electronic medical record (EMR), as well as providing feedback on solution design.
“Machine learning is here, and we want to be central to understanding how this important new tool can be leveraged to improve quality and value in radiology,” said Arl Van Moore Jr, MD, FACR, chair and CEO of Strategic Radiology. “We look forward to working with IBM to develop a role for artificial intelligence in medical imaging.”
Just as search engines categorize information in order to index and rank content, Watson is being trained by radiologists to review patient records that include a radiology report and categorize the relevant text from those records into groupings. For example, if Watson can be taught to recognize relevant clinical information in free text notes, a time-consuming task could be performed by Watson and provided in advance to the interpreting radiologist.
Strategic Radiology is a member of Watson Health’s medical imaging collaborative, a global initiative comprised of leading health systems, academic medical centers, private radiology practices, ambulatory radiology providers, and imaging technology companies that are finding ways to use medical imaging to identify and predict the risk of cancer, diabetes, and diseases of the eye, brain and heart and related conditions.
Watson is a cloud-based system that analyzes high volumes of data, understands complex questions in basic language, and proposes evidence-based answers. Watson can continuously learn, gaining knowledge over time from previous interactions. “Strategic Radiology’s work as part of the medical imaging collaborative is vital to Watson’s ongoing training and the development of cognitive imaging solutions to address the world’s pressing health challenges,” said Steve Tolle, vice president of strategy for Watson Health’s Imaging unit.
About Strategic Radiology
Strategic Radiology is a national coalition of 26 private radiology practices representing more than 1,600 radiologists across the United States. Its goal is to achieve higher quality patient care and more cost-efficient medical imaging through shared data, clinical expertise, and sharing certain practice expenses.
About IBM Watson Health
Watson is the first commercially available cognitive computing capability representing a new era in computing. The system, delivered through the cloud, analyzes high volumes of data, understands complex questions posed in natural language, and proposes evidence-based answers. Watson continuously learns, gaining in value and knowledge over time, from previous interactions. In April 2015, the company launched IBM Watson Health and the Watson Health Cloud platform. IBM Watson Health is helping to improve the ability of doctors, researchers and insurers to innovate by surfacing insights from the massive amount of personal health data being created and shared daily. For more information on IBM Watson, visit: ibm.com/watson. For more information on IBM Watson Health, visit: ibm.com/watsonhealth.
SR Core Members:
• Advanced Radiology Services; Grand Rapids, MI
• Austin Radiological Association; Austin, TX
• Central Illinois Radiological Associates; Peoria, IL
• Charlotte Radiology; Charlotte, NC
• Diversified Radiology; Denver, CO
• Huron Valley Radiology; Ann Arbor, MI
• Integra Imaging; Washington State (Inland Imaging and Seattle Radiologists)
• Jefferson Radiology; Hartford, CT
• Mountain Medical Physician Specialists; Salt Lake City, UT
• Northwest Radiology; Indianapolis, IN
• Quantum Radiology; Atlanta, GA
• Radiant Imaging, Inc.; Pasadena, CA including The Hill Medical Corporation
and Arcadia Radiology Medical Group divisions
• Radiology Associates of North Texas; Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
• Radiology Associates of South Florida; Miami, FL
• Radiology Ltd.; Tucson, AZ
• Southwest Diagnostic Imaging; Phoenix, AZ and affiliates EDVI Medical Imaging
and Scottsdale Medical Imaging and Valley Radiologists
• University Radiology; East Brunswick, NJ
SR Affiliate Members::
• Casper Medical Imaging and Outpatient Radiology; Casper, WY
• Medical Center Radiology Group; Orlando, FL
• Modesto Radiologic Medical Group (MRMG); Modesto, CA
• Professional Radiology, Inc.; Cincinnati, OH
• Radiologic Medical Services; Iowa City, IA
• Radiology Associates of Jeffersonville, IN
• Rome Radiology Group; Rome, GA
• Southeast Radiology, Ltd.; Glen Mills, PA
Cheryl Proval, Strategic Radiology LLC, http://www.strategicradiology.org, +1 310-750-9320, [email protected]