We also know it’s a particularly hard time for high school seniors, so we are providing supplemental support service to help students with their studies now, and ease their transition into college when campuses reopen.
FLUSHING, N.Y. (PRWEB) April 15, 2020
Vaughn College of Aeronautics and Technology was in a prime position to move all of its courses online in March in an expedited manner having experience with distance learning for its degree programs. Upon hearing of the severity of the outbreak and the Governor’s orders, the College ramped up its efforts to train all faculty on its online teaching platform, D2L, and Zoom technology to offer synchronous and asynchronous learning. Vaughn’s staff was also trained on the Zoom platform to provide support to current, prospective and the New York City Department of Education high school students requiring assistance.
“We are working very hard to support all those within the Vaughn community and New York City area,” said Dr. Sharon B. DeVivo, president of Vaughn College. “Queens, where Vaughn is located, and the entire New York metro area have been particularly hard hit and we recognize the difficulty for students and their families as they try to continue their education from home. We also know it’s a particularly hard time for high school seniors, so we are providing supplemental support service to help students with their studies now, and ease their transition into college when campuses reopen.”
In order to provide academic support during this challenging time, Vaughn College is offering the following online services to high school students through the office of admissions, academic success center, and Vaughn’s pre-college enrichment programs designed for middle and high school students who want to get a head start on preparing for their college education.
- Free tutoring with Vaughn’s regularly scheduled tutors
- A free, three-credit Freshman Year Initiative summer course for students who register, designed to prepare them to be college-ready, through an online format. This course may be transferable.
- Vaughn’s Science and Technology Entry Program (STEP) Saturday Academy has moved to an online format to support its participants
- A professional weekday tutor in flight is available online for STEP students
- An online format for the federally-funded Upward Bound Saturday Academy pre-college enrichment program
- The purchase of grant-supported laptops for instructors and students to help with the adjustment to the online environment
- Extra weekday online tutoring through Upward Bound to fill the gaps in students’ academics caused by educational disruption
- Application fees will be waived for new applications
- Unofficial documents will now be considered for admissions decisions
- For those who wish to register prior to June, the tuition deposit will be waived until June 1
- Vaughn typically requires all bachelor of science applicants to submit SAT or ACT test scores. In lieu of those scores, applicants will take an assessment test administered by Vaughn to determine their program acceptance and course placement.
VAUGHN COLLEGE: Founded in 1932, Vaughn College is a private, nonprofit four-year college that enrolls more than 1,600 students in master’s, bachelor’s and associate degree programs in engineering, technology, management and aviation on its main campus in New York City and online. The student-faculty ratio of 15 to 1 ensures a highly personalized learning environment. Ninety-nine percent of Vaughn College graduates, eighty three percent in their field of study, are placed in professional positions or choose to continue their education within one year of graduation. They work in 20 countries and all 50 states. The institution serves many first-generation college students and is recognized by the US Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution.