The Star Plus Initiative is not about size – it’s about offering our guests more of what they love about Windstar without changing the DNA of the brand or the ships’ ability to visit those special small ports and waterways of the world. –President John Delaney
SEATTLE (PRWEB) March 05, 2019
Big things are taking place at Windstar Cruises, known as the premiere small ship cruise line that visits ports, islands and waterways that larger vessels simply can’t access. The biggest news, however is that vacationers can book a suite on the soon to be revitalized and “stretched” Star Breeze and Star Legend that include new itineraries and for the first-time ever a departure from Miami, the cruise capital of the world and San Diego, one of America’s most popular cruise cities. Guests and vacationers can now find specific information and reserve accommodations on Star Breeze and Star Legend itineraries scheduled following the “$250 Million Star Plus Initiative.”
The two enhanced ships will feature new suites, restaurants, public spaces, spa & fitness centers, pool, amenities and even new more environmentally sensitive engines that will propel them to many new itineraries and calls at new ports.
The Star Breeze Star Plus Inaugural voyage will take place from Miami to Colón, Panama on March 20, 2020. The sailing from Miami will be a first for the Seattle-based company.
The Star Breeze and Star Legend will chart courses to some of the most popular, aspirational and legendary destinations in the world, including Iceland, Northern Europe, the British Isles/Ireland, Greece/Turkey/Crete, Israel/Egypt/Malta, the Cote D’Azur, Alaska, the Panama Canal, Mexico/Baja and the first ever call at San Diego in the U.S. and as well as the Caribbean. Some itineraries will also feature transits of the famous Corinth Canal (see itinerary addendum for additional information and links).
Windstar Cruises is investing more than $250 Million (a quarter of a billion dollars) into the “Star Plus Initiative,” a major transformation of Windstar’s three Star Class yacht-style vessels: Star Breeze, Star Legend, and Star Pride. The trio of ships, which comprise of 50 percent of the fleet will be “stretched” and renovated in succession with work starting in October 2019 and ending in November 2020. The popular ships will be cut in half to allow the installation of a new section of ship that will lengthen each vessel approximately 25 meters.
“The Star Plus Initiative is not about size -- it’s about offering our guests more of what they love about Windstar without changing the DNA of the brand or the ships’ ability to visit those special small ports and waterways of the world,” said John Delaney, president of Windstar Cruises.
The total capacity of the “new” expanded ships will be 312 guests and the new section of ship will enable the cruise line to provide services and amenities that its extremely loyal customer base has been asking for in recent times and ensure that the beloved ships will cruise well into the future.
To learn more about authentic small ship cruising with Windstar or to book a cruise, contact a travel advisor or Windstar Cruises by phone at 1-800-258-7245, or visit http://www.windstarcruises.com.
Star Breeze Itineraries
A Star Breeze Star Plus Inaugural voyage will take place from Miami to Colón, Panama on March 20, 2020. The sailing from Miami will be a first for the Seattle-based company.
Star Breeze will then embark on three back-to-back Costa Rica & Panama Canal journeys, showing off the newly stretched profile on the ship’s first-ever canal transits post-renovation. The ship will then sail from Costa Rica to Southern Mexico, continuing to explore the Baja peninsula and wildlife-rich Sea of Cortez. Breeze will then make its West Coast debut in San Diego before heading north on a West Coast Epicurean Extravaganza, a James Beard Foundation culinary themed cruise disembarking in Vancouver.
From Vancouver Star Breeze will head north to Alaska in May 2020 for the summer season on ten different sailing dates.
One of the new itineraries in 2020 is the Alaska Glaciers & Prince William Sound. The sailing includes first-ever Windstar ports and explorations of Valdez, Cordova, College Fjord, Hubbard Glacier, and Point Adolphus. The new itinerary is scheduled on two dates in 2020: June 19 and August 2.
Fall through December 2020 will find the Star Breeze in Asia exploring the oceans, seas and waterways and small ports in China, Korea, Japan, and Southeast Asia until early December.
Star Legend Itineraries
The newly updated Star Legend will debut July 2, 2020 and chart a course from Barcelona to Lisbon and up Europe’s Atlantic Coast in early July. She will cruise Northern Europe through September followed by several fall trips in the Mediterranean.
The enhanced ship will embark on classic Windstar itinerary favorites including five departures on Around Iceland in summer of 2020. The Legend will also forge a new Nordic adventure Eire with Fire & Ice: Ireland and Iceland’s Overlooked Treasures where Windstar will access natural destinations inaccessible to larger ship as well as make a first-ever stop in Djupivogur, Iceland (the gateway to the Jokulsarion Glacier Lagoon, one of Iceland’s most popular attractions).
New itinerary highlights for Star Legend in 2020 include:
- Fado Folksongs, Tapas & Crystal: Portugal, Spain, Britain & Ireland with unique stops in Isles of Scilly, England (known for the best and most unspoiled beaches in Cornwall), along with Fishguard, Whales and Waterford, Ireland.
- Autumn on the Atlantic Coast including the cultural ports of Bilbao, Spain; Bordeaux, France; and Honfleur, France – a first-ever port for Windstar that has been heralded as “the prettiest harbor in all of France.”
- Greece via the Corinth Canal & Turkey: The Marvels of Ancient Rivals will witness the with a first-ever Windstar visit to Lemnos, Greece, the return of Windstar to Istanbul after a several-year absence, as well as the lovely “old Venetian harbor” of Chania on Crete. Also notable is the transit of the Corinth Canal – a legendary passage only small ships like Windstar’s Star Legend can negotiate.
- Greece, Israel & Egypt: Footsteps of Faith in the Holy Lands includes Windstar’s first-ever visit to Cyprus, as well as returns to Haifa and Ashdod in Israel, along with Alexandria and Port Said in Egypt after a several-year absence.
- Ancient Epicenters in Autumn via the Corinth Canal is an interesting journey from Athens to Rome with stops in Delphi, a UNESCO World Heritage Site; Valletta, Malta and transit of the famed Corinth Canal.
- Autumn Revelries on the French Riviera will feature Windstar’s inaugural visit to Toulon, France.