CANCUN, Mexico (PRWEB) November 21, 2018
Xcaret Park received the 2018 Liseberg Applause Award, regarded as the most prestigious distinction in the industry.
Awarded every two years by the board of the Swedish theme park Liseberg, the Applause Award goes to the amusement park whose management, operations and creative achievements have inspired the industry with its foresight, originality and solid commercial development.
"With an original and creative vision, Xcaret developed one of the most authentic and unique park destinations in the world,” said Andreas Veilstrup Andersen, president and CEO of Liseberg Group and chairman of the board of governors of the Applause Award.
“The park balances world-class experiences, based on native culture and natural attractions, with sustainable operations and a strong commitment to the local community."
Criteria includes displaying: the ability to forecast and plan for future trends; a record of success in introducing new attractions, accommodations and marketing activities; originality in landscaping and creativity in the design and selection of new accomodations; good management practices and human resources; profitability, long-term growth and a sustainable pattern of repeat visitors over several years.
The award was presented at the IAAPA’s Attractions Expo – the largest international fair for the amusement park industry – in Orlando, Florida. The other 2018 finalists were PortaAventura World in Spain and Universal Studios in Japan.
Upon receiving this recognition, Miguel Quintana Pali, president of Grupo Experiencias Xcaret, said he was proud to see Xcaret receive recognition for promoting the nature and culture of Mexico. He added that he shares this achievement with the Xcaret family, its partners and Mexico.
SIGNIFICANT ACHIEVEMENTS OF XCARET
Since opening in 1990 and inspired by Mexico, its nature and its culture, Xcaret developed its own model of tourist recreation. It has received almost 25 million visitors while offering them varied, unique experiences. Xcaret is a symbol of excellence, innovation, sustainability, business ethics and love for Mexico. Its most important achievements include:
- Recovering the Pre-Hispanic Ball Game, a grand tradition that fell into disuse, which is now not only played in Xcaret but also in many Mayan communities of the Yucatan Peninsula and Central America
- Signing a historic agreement with INAH that allowed the restoration of the archaeological zone of Xcaret and consolidating research on this important site of the Mayan culture
- Recovering the Sacred Mayan Journey, a pre-Hispanic tradition that ceased for more than 500 years and today is the pride of Quintana Roo and its inhabitants
- Creating the first living coral aquarium in the world, which was developed by Mexican specialists and achieving the reproduction of coral species in danger of extinction, opening the possibility of recovering reef ecosystems
- Increased the population of the scarlet macaw in the wild jungles of Mexico by 97%, an extraordinary achievement as it is an endangered species
- Promoting Mexico's most important conservation program for sea turtles, helping more than 13 million hatchlings to reach the sea
- Becoming the first private company in Quintana Roo to offer an environmental education program to public school students
- Reviving Day of the Dead with all its traditions and inaugurating the regional pantheon of the Yucatan Peninsula more than 13 years ago
- Enabling three subterranean rivers so that visitors could get to know the wonderful underground that characterizes the southeast region of Mexico
- Becoming constituted as the primary embassy of Mexico to the world
- Establishing itself as the principal promoter of the flora, fauna and culture of the southeast region of Mexico
- Laying the foundations of sustainable tourism recreation in Mexico, with the Ulysses recognition of the World Tourism Organization