Frankfort, Kentucky (PRWEB) July 11, 2023 -- Bryan Hubbard, Chair and Executive Director of the Kentucky Opioid Abatement Advisory Commission (KYOAAC), along with members of the Commission, will hold a public hearing and general information session on Monday, July 17, 2023, detailing the scientific basis of the Commission’s proposal to allocate funds totalling up to $42 million over 6 years towards research into the treatment of Opioid Use Disorder with the naturally occurring substance, ibogaine.
If approved, these allocated funds will be dispensed from the state’s share of the $842 million in settlements with opioid manufacturers and distributors for their role in exacerbating the deadly opioid crisis. KYOAAC is responsible for distributing half of the settlement funds, or $421 million. The funds are to be distributed for the delivery of interventional, therapeutic, and recovery services for individuals, families, and communities which have been ravaged by the state's opioid addiction epidemic.
The Commission will be joined by a panel of expert researchers and clinicians who will provide insight into the existing scientific data and current research into ibogaine therapy as a treatment for addiction, as well as ibogaine’s associated risks and benefits, legal status, and comparisons with the success rates of other treatment methods currently available in the state based on up-to-date public health statistics.
Credentialed media interested in watching the public hearing may attend in person at the address below, or watch the livestream on July 17.
- W. Bryan Hubbard, Chairman and Executive Director, KYOAAC
- Dr. Nolan R. Williams, Associate Professor at Stanford University, and Director of Stanford Brain Stimulation Lab
- Dr. Kenneth Alper, Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Neurology at New York University School of Medicine
- Dr. Deborah Mash, Professor of Neurology and Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology at the Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine, and Director of the Brain Endowment Bank at University of Miami, and founder and CEO of DemeRx
- Dr. Srinivas Rao, Chief Scientific Officer, atai Life Sciences
- Dr. Douglas Kramer, Senior VP, Pharmacovigilance and Regulatory Affairs, Athenex, Inc.
- Juliana Mulligan MSW, psychotherapist and ibogaine treatment specialist
- Jessica Blackburn, ibogaine patient
Public hearing, and general information session
Monday, July 17, 2023 from 9 AM - 3:30 PM EDT
Administrative Office of the Courts Building
1001 Vandalay Dr.
Frankfort, KY 40601
Or watch the public livestream at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuOpoyITuqA.
Brad Burge, Integration Communications, https://integrationcommunications.com, 1 6508636887, [email protected]