LINCOLN, R.I. (PRWEB) March 21, 2016 -- More than 2 million poisonings are reported each year, and more than 90 percent of these poisonings occur in the home, according to the National Poison Prevention Week Council.
As part of National Poison Prevention Week, Amica Insurance is sharing the following tips from the Council:
General safety tips
• Always store medicines and household products up high, away and out of sight from children. Install safety latches on cabinets.
• Re-close medicines and other household products if interrupted during use. Many incidents occur when adults are distracted when using these products, like when a doorbell or phone rings.
• Buy products in child-resistant packaging whenever possible, and close the container tightly after each use.
• Keep the toll-free Poison Help number (800-222-1222) near the phone, or program it into your cellphone. If you think someone has been poisoned, call for help immediately.
Medicine safety tips
• Read medicine and product labels before each use, and follow directions exactly. Ask a pharmacist or doctor if the instructions are unclear.
• Explain to children what medicine is, and why you must be the one to give it to them. Never call medicine “candy,” and never leave it bedside or on the kitchen counter.
• Clean out the medicine cabinet periodically, and safely dispose of medicines that are expired or no longer needed.
• Don’t remove medicine from a child-resistant package, and always relock the safety cap.
Household product safety
• Keep cleaning products in their original containers, and always close them immediately after use.
• Teach children that laundry and other cleaning products are not toys.
• Turn on fans, open windows, and remove children and pets when using household cleaners and chemicals.
• Install carbon monoxide detectors in sleeping areas and on every level of the home.
For more information on National Poison Prevention Week, click here.
About Amica Insurance
Amica Mutual Insurance Co., the nation’s oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, based in Lincoln, Rhode Island, is a national writer of auto, home, marine and umbrella insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,400 people in 44 offices across the country. For more information, visit Amica.com.
Media inquiries can be sent to [email protected].
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.
Brendan Dowding, Amica Mutual Insurance Co., http://www.amica.com, +1 (800) 652-6422 Ext: 22380, [email protected]
SOURCE Amica Mutual Insurance Co.