Washington DC (PRWEB) March 18, 2015 -- Australia’s First Families of Wine Chairman, Robert Hill-Smith will lead family member representatives from Australia’s 12 foremost family-owned wineries on a US tour with trade and consumer launch events in San Francisco, May 18, 2015 and New York, May 20, 2015.
Founded in 2009, Australia’s First Families of Wine (AFFW) came together to work collectively to raise the profile and provenance of quality Australian wine, at home and around the world, through fine wine and heritage tastings, consumer and trade education and industry leadership.
The group consists of 12 of Australia’s prominent family wineries -- Brown Brothers (1885), Campbells (1870), d’Arenberg (1912), De Bortoli Wines (1928), Henschke (1868), Howard Park (1986), Jim Barry Wines (1959), McWilliam’s Wines (1877), Tahbilk (1860), Taylors (1969), Tyrrell’s Wines (1858) and Yalumba (1849).
Recently AFFW announced the appointment of Robert Hill-Smith from Yalumba as their new chairman. Hill-Smith assumes the chair from Mitchell Taylor of Taylors Wines and is the fourth chairman of the initiative. “Internationally, our mission is to educate, share and celebrate Australia’s fine wine heritage, quality, and diversity with wine enthusiasts around the world and encourage demand for Australian fine wines. Collectively we represent 16 wine regions, 4 states, 48 generations of winemakers and over 1,200 years of experience,” stated Hill-Smith.
Angela Slade, Regional Director Wine Australia North America enthuses, “Australia’s First Families of Wine is a showcase for the multi-generational story of Australian wine, from early days in the 1800s, through to the modern wine story from the 1950s, to the regional and stylistic evolution of today.” Slade continues, “This US launch, led by Robert Hill-Smith, represents both wine heritage and a look at Australia’s long-term sustainability well into the future.”
NORTH AMERICA TOUR – MAY 2015:
The tour, coordinated by Wine Australia, will include 13 events over 14 days in 5 cities across the USA and Canada. US launch events are planned for San Francisco (May 18) and New York (May 20) before heading to Canada for Montreal (May 21-22) Toronto (May 25-26) and Vancouver (May 28-30).
FAMILY MEMBERS ON TOUR 2015:
Robert Hill-Smith (Yalumba), Ross Brown (Brown Brothers), Colin Campbell (Campbell’s), Chester Osborn (d’Arenberg), Leanne DeBortoli (De Bortoli), Stephen & Prue Henschke (Henschke), Jeff Burch (Howard Park), Peter Barry (Jim Barry Wines), Scott McWilliam (McWilliam’s), Alister Purbrick (Tahbilk), Justin Taylor (Taylors/Wakefield), and Bruce Tyrrell (Tyrrell’s).
Hill-Smith noted, “The time is right for us to show our commitment to North America and be there in person to tell our stories, make a lot of noise and have some fun. We’re going in, firing on all cylinders.”
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Donna White Communications
203 558 4262
• Australia’s First Families of Wine (AFFW) initiative was launched in August 2009 at the Sydney Opera House
• AFFW launched in the UK in 2010, Canada in 2011, China in 2013 and runs an Australian program ‘Unlocked’
• The AFFW charter is to engage consumers, retailers, restaurateurs and industry colleagues around the globe to understand the quality of Australian wine, appreciate its character, and the personalities behind the brands
• Strict criteria to establish AFFW include being family controlled, having multiple generations involved in the business, ability to offer a tasting of 20+ vintages of their iconic wine, owner of established 50+ year old vineyard, best environmental practices throughout their businesses, and active involvement in the Australian wine industry bodies and organizations.
• Reference: Heart & Soul Australia’s First Families of Wine by Graeme Lofts with forward by James Halliday
Donna White, Donna White Communications, +1 (203) 558-4262, [email protected]
SOURCE Donna White Communications