Newtown Square, PA (PRWEB) February 02, 2015 -- Fur-get pet names: this Valentine's Day, those vying for the attention of an animal lover might instead try sprouting four paws and a wet nose. That’s because 57% of pet parents prefer Valentine’s Day kisses from their four-legged friends over their two-legged sweethearts, according to a recent survey conducted by Petplan pet insurance.
That number is down a few ticks from the 62% reported in Petplan’s 2013 survey. Still, 60% of this year’s female respondents said that their pet’s kisses would be sweeter, while 62% of males surveyed favored their partner’s smooches.
Pet-to-person preferences weren’t the only insights revealed by the survey, which includes responses from more than 4,800 pet parents. The data also demonstrated interesting gift-buying trends, with 52% of women admitting they spend more on Fluffy or Fido than on their partners for Valentine’s Day.
Curiously, 70% of male respondents said they spend more on their partners than their pets (with the remaining 30% presumably earning a night in the doghouse).
For the staggering 76% of survey-takers who plan on purchasing pawesome presents, Petplan has issued “Eat, Play, Love: A Gift Guide for Furry Friends.” Products for the guide were hand-selected by Petplan team members, with rigorous research carried out by their furry four-legged product specialists. The collection represents a wide range of unique and artisanal pet-friendly items like toys, treats, grooming products, apparel and more.
“Our pets love and comfort us unconditionally, so it’s unsurprising that we should feel that in return, especially on Valentine’s Day,” says Natasha Ashton, co-founder and co-CEO of Petplan. “A gift is just a small token of something that’s really quite difficult to put into words and even more difficult for our pets to understand.”
Plenty of gift ideas are available for the 84% majority of survey respondents who intend on spending less than $30:
• DogTV Subscription, $4.99-$9.99
• Cat is Good Cat Mat, $19.95
• Harry Barker Play Ball Gift Bucket, starting at $29.99
But there are also options for more magnanimous pet parents:
• Sleepypod Pet Carrier, $179.99
• Catswall CurvyNest, $449-$569
• PetZen DogTread™ Treadmill, $599
For these and other Valentine’s Day gift-giving paw-sibilities, visit http://www.gopetplan.com/gift-ideas-for-pets.
Petplan is more than a pet insurance company. We're dedicated to providing pet parents with the support, resources and tools they need to keep their pets not just surviving—but thriving—into their old age. Simply put, we aim to be the kind of company that will make our pets proud. For the third consecutive year, Petplan was included on Forbes' annual ranking of America’s Most Promising Companies – a list of 100 privately held, high-growth companies with bright futures. Petplan is the only pet insurance company to have been included on Inc. Magazine’s list of 500 fastest-growing, privately held companies in America.
Petplan’s fully customizable cat and dog insurance policies provide comprehensive coverage for all hereditary and chronic conditions for the life of the pet as standard. Petplan policies are underwritten by AGCS Marine Insurance Company in the U.S. and by Allianz Global Risks US Insurance Company in Canada. The Allianz Group was rated A+ by A.M. Best in 2014. For more information about Petplan pet insurance, visit http://www.gopetplan.com or call 1-866-467-3875.
Jessica Kinney, Petplan, +1 610.886.5224, [email protected]