During the conference, Mr. Puiggali will share insight on how countries across the globe (Switzerland, Mexico, Spain, Russia, Ecuador to name a few) are leveraging secure online voting platforms to manage referendum and consultation processes in person and remotely; countries that are drastically reducing the costs and logistics for referendums and consultations. Overall, Scytl will cover:
• Online voting and consultation platforms need to be defined and implemented keeping security issues top and foremost.
• The importance of online voting systems ensuring the eligibility and privacy of voters, the integrity of the votes and the accuracy and auditability of the results and process.
• Online consultations and voting process must facilitate mechanisms that allow an equivalent audit process to the traditional direct/human audit.
• How this can be achieved via advance cryptographic algorithms, protecting the integrity and privacy of votes and providing proofs that these operations are performed properly via innovative and secure election management technology.
“We are extremely honored to have been invited to participate in this conference. It provides an ideal opportunity to share how an online voting system needs to combine not only the means for protecting the votes (e.g., encryption) but also include measures for allowing voters to verify the accurate registration of their voter intention, and auditors the means for proper counting of the cast votes,” says Jordi Puigaali. “And all of this without compromising voter privacy or facilitating vote coercion/buying,” he concludes.
In addition to his session, Mr. Puiggali will be participating in the workgroup committee in planning for the “Symposium of Information Assurance (IA) and Security” to take place in Ecuador in 2014. The committee, run by Dr. Alfredo Cruz from Polytechnic University, looks to bring together global IA practitioners to share their experiences and disseminate the importance of security at a national level.
“One of the goals is to gather a group of IA international leaders to highlight and share global best practices and experiences together with trends in the electoral services industry. The workgroup at the LACCEI 2013 session will allow us to identify security leaders across the globe to join the group, name the Committees, and define the direction of the 2014 Symposium,” comments Dr. Cruz.
Key secure online consultations and voting sessions at LACCEI 2013:
• Thursday August 15, 13:45 – "Security in Electronic Voting" Jordi Puiggali, Scytl
• Friday August 16, 09:00 – Work group committee for the "2014 Symposium of Information Assurance (IA) and Security" to take place in Ecuador
Leticia Barcia, Senior Director Marketing, Scytl, http://www.scytl.com, +34 646397047, [email protected]