(PRWEB UK) 23 July 2013 -- Demonstrating once more its commitment to health and safety excellence, leading UK housebuilder Miller Homes has taken two awards in the 2013 NHBC Health and Safety Awards. This is further to six of their sites across the UK being commended and shortlisted for consideration in May.
East Midlands Site Manager, Richard Goacher won a ‘Highly Commended’ award for his site at Dukesmead in Bingham just outside Nottingham; whilst Miller Homes secured a special award for ‘Best H&S Worker Engagement Programme’.
Miller Homes’ approach to making improvements in health and safety performance has focused on both the engagement of contractors and the real benefit of teamwork in making sure their workplaces are safe.
Dave Hickman, Safety, Health and Environmental Director for Miller Homes, said: “We are delighted to have been recognised again in the NHBC Health and Safety Awards, and these awards are testament to our on-going commitment to achieving health and safety excellence across all of our sites and operations.
“Health and safety is everyone’s responsibility and we want to make sure our workforce ‘buys in’ to our requirements. We know from experience that we can’t do it on our own - after all, it is the man at the sharp end that makes decisions as to whether to behave safely or not.”
“We invest considerable amounts of money, time and effort into ensuring that our culture is right; and by educating our workers on the ‘essential ingredients’ of how they can best protect themselves, we remove the perceived irrelevance associated with the majority of health and safety documentation.”
“I would like to thank all of our employees for their continued hard work and diligence in this area, and individual congratulations must also go to Richard Goacher for his fantastic achievement.”
Now in its fourth year, the NHBC Health and Safety Awards is the UK's only health and safety awards scheme exclusively for home builders.
Primarily designed to recognise and reward the very best in health and safety, the Awards are also helping to drive up safety standards in the industry by showcasing and sharing best practice.
Notes to editors:
About Miller Homes:
• Miller Homes is part of The Miller Group. Since it was established in 1934, Miller Homes has built more than 100,000 homes across the UK, providing a variety of properties to meet the needs of a wide range of purchasers at all stages of the property ladder.
• Miller Homes operates in eight regions across the UK – Scotland East, Scotland West, North West, Yorkshire, North East, East Midlands, West Midlands and Southern.
• Miller Homes offers a variety of incentives, including government-backed schemes and its own schemes, to assist homebuyers in purchasing a new home.
• In 2013 Miller Homes was awarded five star rating in the Home Builders Federation New Home Customer Satisfaction Survey and the results of independent research highlighted that 97% of its own customers would recommend Miller Homes to their best friend.
• Further information is available by visiting http://www.millerhomes.co.uk
Marie Dunsmuir, Miller Homes, http://www.millerhomes.co.uk, 0870 336 5084, [email protected]