Harmony, PA (PRWEB) May 28, 2014 -- SDG Systems, a leader in system software and operating system support for Android on enterprise platforms, recently launched the Enterprise Platform eXtension Framework (EPX Framework™) software solution for Android. The EPX Framework provides a modular middleware implementation to enable manufacturers, system integrators, and end-users to integrate and utilize their RFID or barcode scanning hardware. The EPX Framework includes a device-independent application programming interface (API) for developers, enabling cross-platform support for applications.
SDG Systems is licensing the EPX Framework for the integration of RFID or barcode scanning hardware into commercial hardware platforms. The EPX Framework provides several key features to the licensee.
- Modular Design - The EPX Framework was designed in a modular way. New hardware-specific modules for RFID and barcode scanning may be added without affecting or changing the other modules.
- Android Focused - The EPX Framework is for Android. It avoids the compromises of generic operating system (OS-independent) development. Developers receive an API that is efficient and familiar in style, with rich functionality.
- Flexible Licensing - The licensee of the framework has the opportunity to pay lower upfront cost and a per-unit license fee, or purchase an unlimited number of licenses. Premium technical support is included in the fees.
- Developer Tools - The EPX Framework includes developer tools that the licensee can re-distribute at no charge. The tools support Eclipse and Android Studio.
- Source-based Maintenance - The EPX Framework includes all source code, allowing the licensee to modify or enhance the framework. SDG Systems also offers an annual maintenance option.
The first modular components of the EPX Framework are EPX-R, for supporting RFID on Android, and EPX-B, for supporting barcode scanning. The EPX Framework implementations are designed to help mobile device manufacturers and component vendors quickly add RFID and barcode support to Android products while providing a common API for app developers. EPX-R and EPX-B each include native plugin-modules (hardware drivers), Android-based services, an Android Settings application, and a Software Developer Kit (SDK). The SDK allows app developers to interface with the commercial RFID or barcode readers.
The EPX-B mobile system supports hardware and software-decoded barcode scanners manufactured by Motorola, Intermec, and Honeywell. The EPX-R system’s RFID technology is currently compatible with SCSpro, ThingMagic, IDRO, and HIDGlobal RFID chipsets. Licensed owners may contract with SDG Systems to add support for other RFID or barcode scanner chipsets, including Bluetooth-connected devices, or implement the hardware-specific changes through an in-house engineering team.
EPX Framework implementations are currently being deployed. Case studies and deployment details will be available soon. For more information on SDG Systems, go to http://sdgsystems.com. To learn more about the EPX Framework and read about this Android middleware’s key benefits, please visit: http://sdgsystems.com/solutions/epx-framework/.
In addition to the included technical support, SDG offers services to integrate the EPX Framework with the licensee’s platform. Other services offered by SDG Systems include Android porting, device driver implementation, and application development.
About SDG Systems
SDG Systems delivers innovative, customizable, Android and Linux solutions, specializing in rugged and mobile computers. SDG provides superior technical support, software customizations, and complete solutions. SDG is a leader in the implementation of Google Android solutions on rugged and embedded devices since 2009 and has been developing and supporting Linux system software since 2001.
Todd Blumer, SDG System, LLC, http://sdgsystems.com, +1 724-452-9366, [email protected]