Windsor, ON (PRWEB) July 27, 2014 -- Traffic accidents happen on a daily basis across Ontario, ranging from minor collisions to serious collisions where vehicles are irreparable. Regardless of the extent of the property damage, a driver or passenger may have sustained injuries and should be aware of his or her rights and obligations as an accident victim.
Insurance law in Ontario is complex and the rules governing our no-fault system, the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS) can be hard to navigate. It is important that accident victims contact a qualified personal injury lawyer as there are many limitation periods and important dates to remember.
Paciocco & Mellow, a Windsor Personal Injury firm offers the following guidelines for what to do after an accident occurs:
1. Call the police and emergency services;
2. Make a note of the time, date and location of the accident;
3. Exchange information with the other driver (licence plate #, insurance information including name and policy #, phone # and contact information);
4. Make sure the police have your correct information and have all the information they need about the accident;
5. If there were witnesses to the accident, get their names and contact information;
6. Seek medical attention- if you are unsure as to the extent of your injuries, attend a hospital, your family doctor or walk-in clinic and report all symptoms;
7. Report the accident to your own insurance company and if applying for accident benefits be sure to complete the package completely if you have not already obtained a lawyer;
8. Inform your employer, in the event that they have to provide information to your lawyer and complete forms;
9. Keep your family doctor informed of your symptoms so that your doctor can make the proper referrals to specialists if necessary;
10. Keep a record of all doctors and treatment facilities so that you can inform your lawyer and any new physicians;
11. Keep a record of all prescription medication and over the counter medication so that your treating physicians are aware;
12. Keep all receipts related to medication and out of pocket expenses;
13. Once a lawyer is retained, be sure to tell your lawyer exactly how you remember the accident happening, your symptoms, provide all the names of your doctors, the names of your medications and any other pertinent information.
Car accident litigation is complex and Paciocco & Mellow is a Windsor Personal Injury Firm that represents many persons who have been injured as a result of automobile accidents, slip and fall injuries and other types of personal injuries.
About Paciocco & Mellow:
Paciocco & Mellow is a Windsor based law firm that practices in personal injury law, and only personal injury law. They handle slip and fall claims, car accident claims, snowmobiling accidents, boating accidents, spinal cord injury cases, traumatic brain injury cases, wrongful death suits, medical malpractice claims, dog bite/animal attacks, disability claims and other personal injury claims. They service the areas of areas of Windsor, Essex County, Sarnia and Chatham-Kent.
To reach Paciocco & Mellow:
(519) 915- SORE (7673)
Paciocco & Mellow- providing peace of mind at a difficult time.
Jeffrey Mellow or Gino Paciocco, The Law Offices of Paciocco and Mellow, http://accidentlawyerswindsor.com, +1 (647) 558-0116, [email protected]